Luggage/suitcase Wedding Cakes

Decorating By weeny Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 1:58pm by momsgoodies

weeny Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 5

Please can someone help. I have been asked to do a suitcase wedding cake for a friend of a friend and altho I have seen loads of lovely pictures I am a little unsure of how to decorate with the straps, and buckles etc Would really appreciate any advice on templates or instructions. I would love to make one of these. Pleeeeeese x

4 replies
sheilabelle Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 5

Susan Carberry on "yummy arts . com" (remove spaces) has an instructional video that you can pay to download. When I was a member I watched it and it was very informative and full of ideas.

weeny Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 5

thanks for that I will give it a look. really looking forward to making this cake. just hope it turns out ok. just seen that your birthday is the same date as mine. icon_smile.gif

sheilabelle Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 11:41am
post #4 of 5

Happy Birthday a few months and days early. Hehehehehehe! Hope the video helps you out.

momsgoodies Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 5

I made one for my MIL birthday, it was my first. For the straps I measure them so they were even. There was a lot of humidity here (Puerto Rico) and I was not able to made the stitch/dotted line at the sides of the straps. You can make it using the stitch tool (I don't remember the name) or use a toothpick to mark the little lines one by one. I made the buckle and handle myself just rolling the fondant/gumpaste (50/50) creating like a "rope". It was very easy. The only thing I forgot was to put another rope between the top and bottom of the luggage (like the one on top and around the cake and at the bottom). Hope this help...

Quote by @%username% on %date%