Metallic Buttercream - How To??

Decorating By ReezieCakes Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 5:09pm by PrivateNameHere

ReezieCakes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:31am
post #1 of 7

How do you make metallic buttercream?? I've seen cakes that look like they have a meticallic buttercream piped on. Is this airbrushing or some other trick?

Is there an easy way to give your cake an overall metallic finish?

Thanks in advance for all your help!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:07am
post #2 of 7

Do you have an airbrush? americolor has these colors in airbrush colors. I guess if you don,t have an airbrush you could put the color in a spray bottle. Lucks brand might also have these colors. Maybe pme. I,ll keep looking around. I have them in americolor airbrush. here is one site. many others. you don,t mix your colors in with the buttercream. you spray or paint them on.

krafty310 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:02am
post #3 of 7

There is a line of cake decorating stuff by Ace of Cakes baker Duff called Cake Graffiti. Michaels sells it.

PrivateNameHere Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 7

Is there a gold spray in that line? I needed some for a last minute crown cake last week and couldn't find any in my whole city!

krafty310 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 7

It comes in these colors: Red, Metallic Silver, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Pink and Orange

ReezieCakes Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, I so have an airbrush system. I haven't quite mastered the pressures and angles just yet, but I'm trying. Maybe I need a better pen? It just looks like they are piping it on that way, so they are doing an incredible job at painting and spraying!!

PrivateNameHere Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 7

So no gold. Bummer. Does anyone have an idea of how to do gold buttercream? Maybe golden yellow coloring and tons of shimmer dust mixed in? Sounds spendy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%