To Freeze Or Not To Freeze? Fondant Covered Cakes

Lounge By sebrina Updated 6 Feb 2011 , 2:58am by tracycakes

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:30am
post #1 of 8

Would you freeze a cake after it's been covered? And if you do, is there a trick to thaw it properly? icon_confused.gif
Any tips or advise would be much appreciated!

7 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:17am
post #2 of 8

I found this link very useful, it should answer all your questions. I have no experience in this though, so can't vouch for the success:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5562675_store-fondant-cake.html

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 8

i've frozen two of my fondant covered cakes-and only because they wanted pick up at a later date (change last minute) i did tell them it was frozen. but you know what, turned out awesome. trick is to make sure it is securely covered, multiple layers of saran not touching the fondant. uncover when removed from the freezer, and make sure no body touches the cake as it thaws. (fingerprints show!!) but works great.!! in my experience. HTH

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead

itrick is to make sure it is securely covered, multiple layers of saran not touching the fondant. HTH

Do you mean the Saran wrap should not touch the fondant? Or to keep my fingers off of it? Just trying to figure out how I would securely cover it with saran without it touching the cake?

Thank you so much! With this info & the link above, I am going to experiment! icon_twisted.gif

Motorhead Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 8

sorry some clarification-yes Saran Wrap, i usually rip off a large piece and gently cover the cake making sure that it dosn't stick to the cake, but is secure to the cake board or the bottome of the cake.
make sure your fingers do not touch the cake when you remove it from the freezer as you will leave finger prints on it!!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 8

it would have to stick to the cake in some places, surely? It's hard to imagine plastic wrap behaving itself and floating around the cake? Or do you just mean try to avoid it as much as possible? Maybe it would not stick if you used a few layers to make it thicker and stand up more..?

Motorhead Posted 1 Feb 2011 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 8

Yup that was exactly what i meaning to say!! thank you!! sometimes it's hard to explain!! i did put multiple layers on that ended up being thick therefore not actually really touching the cake too much.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Feb 2011 , 2:58am
post #8 of 8

I had to freeze a fondant covered cake because the client changed the date of the party without telling me.. aaarrgghhh! I put it in the box and wrapped the box several times in saran wrap. When it came out, I just took the wrap off and left it in the box to thaw. Turned out awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%