Glass Looking Window Panes

Decorating By Kathy555 Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 3:34pm by EmilyJo9

Kathy555 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 4

How do you go about making "glass window panes" to look realistic. I need to make an a frame cabin with windows all across the front.

3 replies
icer101 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:14am
post #2 of 4

I saved this yesterday. She tells you what she used for her windows. Sheet gelatin. You can buy it at most cake decorating supplies. hth

MarlaQuack Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 4

I've used piping gel.

EmilyJo9 Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 4

Use hard candy...
Clear windows: You can use those clear circle mint hard candies

Colored (Lighted) windows: You can use butterscotch circle hard candies or jolly ranchers...

You melt them in the oven at 350 on parchment or foil and then right when they come out of the oven you can cut them to the shape you need or use a cookie cutter in the shape of the window and you can melt the candies directly in the cutter.

You can also make your own hard candy:
Cook a batch of clear hard candy as below:

1 cup granulated cane sugar
1/3 cup hot water
1/3 cup light com syrup

Combine sugar, hot water and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan. Place on high heat and stir with a wooden spoon until all sugar crystals are dissolved. Wash down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in hot water. Clip on thermometer. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 290F, then remove from heat. Entire cooking process takes about ten minutes

While hot, pour the clear hard candy onto parchment or foil or into the cookie cutter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%