Need Advice On Making Buttercream Icing Look Glossy

Decorating By DreamMaker2 Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm by Parable

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:29am
post #1 of 7

Ok... I know there's probably an answer in these forums, but I've search for hours looking for some information. Could some of you (wonderful) experts please tell me how to make buttercream icing shiny? I realize it can be done with fondant - however, my friend wants her son's birthday cake to be made with buttercream.

DETAILS: I'm making a "wooden" plaque for a base cake and would like it to look varnished.

Is this possible? Or am I just Dreaming?

Thanks for your input - I really appreciate any and all advice.

Blessings!
Cheley

6 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:50am
post #2 of 7

Hard to help without a better idea of the cake you want to make, but maybe try piping gel? You could paint a thin layer on your cold buttercream.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:02am
post #3 of 7

There is a spray you can use, I think it's called edible varnish. Maybe you can Google it? I've never tried it but I've seen threads on this site. Good Luck!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 7:54am
post #4 of 7

Can't you just make the plaque out of fondant and take it off before serving?

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you SO much for your help! The cake is a wall-mounted bass (fish) on an oval slab of wood. I mentioned fondant to my friend and she said "Absolutely NO fondant". I'll test the edible varnish on the buttercream and see how it does. Otherwise, piping gel sounds like it will do.
Thanks again - I appreciate the input from all of you! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheley

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 7

My favorite way to make something look glossed is to mix corn syrup with almond extract and paint it on (buttercream obviously would need to be crusted over, and use a soft brush).

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 7

Since you need the wood look, maybe you could paint darker brown streaks of color (thinned with vodka or extract) on top of light brown BC. The painted streaks should stay glossy and give the lighter brown BC a wooden texture. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%