Cake Flour Same As Bread Four?

Baking By JenniferMc Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm by JenniferMc

JenniferMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMc Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #1 of 16

When a recipe calls for cake flour, can I use Bread flour? Is it the same thing?

15 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:13am
post #2 of 16

No. Bread flour will make a very tough cake. You need to use what the recipe calls for.

JenniferMc Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:22am
post #3 of 16

where do you get cake flour?

au_decorator_76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
au_decorator_76 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:27am
post #4 of 16

Any grocery store should have it. The one I get comes in a box, not a bag.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:29am
post #5 of 16

You could try replacing 2 Tablespoons of the bread flour with 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch. Joythe baker says to sift the flour cornstarch mix up to five times. I usually only sift once. You can read her advice here: http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2009/09/how-to-make-cake-flour/

JenniferMc Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #6 of 16

So is cake flour different than All purpose?? Sorry dumb question...

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:21am
post #7 of 16

Cake flour has more carbohydrates than AP or Bread flour. AP and Bread flour have more protein than Cake flour. Bread flour has more protein than AP flour. Protein contains gluten. Gluten is a substance made up of the proteins found in wheat flour that gives bread its structure, strength, and texture. Your cake would not be tender if you used AP or bread flour. You need the carbs. (mainly starch)

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 8:13am
post #8 of 16

Here in New Zealand, we have 'standard flour' and 'high grade flour'. Standard flour is cake flour, and high grade flour is bread flour. The high grade flour has more glucose in it. glucose makes things tougher/chewier, so it is best not used for cakes.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 9:05am
post #9 of 16

Softasilk is the name brand for the cake flour I buy. Last box I bought was from Target, but they do carry it at grocery stores. It's made by Pillsbury.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:54am
post #10 of 16

Swan's Down is in a box too. I have noticed that our stores carry one or the other.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:39am
post #11 of 16

zespri, its not glucose (a sugar) it's gluten (a protein).

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:45pm
post #12 of 16

I use Swan's Down from Kroger... It's the only brand they carry... I have found it difficult to find a grocery store that carries more than one brand and they usually have it kind of hidden... I always really have to look for it... Hope this helps!

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 16

cake flour has cornstarch added to it.
You can substitute regular flour with cornstarch added to it to make it cake flour so one cup -2 tbsp equals one cup of cake flour
cake flour is ultra sifted as well

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiara

cake flour has cornstarch added to it.
You can substitute regular flour with cornstarch added to it to make it cake flour so one cup -2 tbsp equals one cup of cake flour
cake flour is ultra sifted as well

I don't recall reading anywhere in my research that cake flour has corn starch added to it. I'll double check. This would insinuate that cake flour is. Oohing more than AP flour with corn starch added to it. This is the farthest from the truth. It is the low protein count that makes a flour a cake flour. And this amount will vary by brand also.

If you have to substitute a flour, then use AP flour. It is the protein count that is important. Cake flour has less protein than bread flour. Can't remember the exact percentages. But the less protein then the lighter and fluffier your cake. And protein amounts will vary from brand to brand of AP flour also.

I have read that you can substitute 2 tablespoons for corn starch, or potato starch too, for 2 tablespoons for AP flour. There is a famous French chef that has written plenty of baking books who uses AP unbleached flour and one of these starches exclusively. I have tried this and don't like it as much as a cake made with AP flour or cake flour. I have also made cupcakes side by side using both AP flour with no starches added and cake flour. None of my taste tester could tell the difference between the two.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 16

lol! yes, I meant to write gluten, clearly some sort of wicked elf came back and edited my post after I made it icon_razz.gif Either that or I wrote it too late at night and was thinking about the thread I'd just read about corn syrup vs glucose. Thanks Leah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

zespri, its not glucose (a sugar) it's gluten (a protein).

JenniferMc Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:40pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks all! Great info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%