Need Suggestions On How To Make This Beehive Cake

Decorating By Christina1207 Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 6:13pm by Christina1207

Christina1207 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 4

My husband is a bee guardian and I really wanted to make him a beehive cake. See he is doing it with a top bar system which is not like the boxes most people think of. Just wondering about what size cake I should use, and how I would go about achieve that shape?

[/url] http://www.backyardhive.com/images/hive_lantern.jpg

3 replies
zespri Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 4

I've never done it before, but I believe you should cut a piece of board about the same size as you want the narrow end to be. Place it on top of the cake, then start carving, starting your slope at the edge of your card, and finishing it at the bottom, the wider part.

I imagine someone else will have to give you advice on structure. All I know is you must put a board every 4", but I don't know how that works with this sort of shaped cake. hmmm... maybe look up info on 'vase cake', I've seen this sort of shape before and that's what they called it.

DianeLM Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 4

zespri is correct about the technique to taper the sides. Below are my instructions for how to taper cakes. The instructions are for tapering round cakes, but the concept is the same for any shape.

Start with two same-size cake layers, say, 10-inch round.

Place a 10-inch round cake circle on one end, and an 8-inch circle on the other end. Make sure the larger, same-size board is not larger than the cake. It can be tad smaller.

Working inside a large pan or baking sheet to confine the mess, elevate the cake a few inches on something narrower than the cake, like a 6 or 7 inch cake pan.

The 8-inch board side should be up. Put non-skid mat between the cake and it's elevator so it doesn't slip off.

Now, take a long, serrated knife and, using the cake boards as guides, carve away the sides of the cake. Flip the cake over, place on it's permanent board and away you go!

If you plan to fill the layers with something other than buttercream, place a couple of small cardboard cake circles between your layers before carving.

After carving, take the two layers apart, remove the cake circles, pipe your dam, add filling and replace the layers. Trim, if necessary.

If you're going to fill with buttercream, you can do that before carving.

To make the beehive, I'd taper 2 layers of cake. Insert support , then top with a rectangular cake on its own board.

As for the cake size, that's up to you. How on earth would any of us know how big that beehive is? icon_smile.gif

Christina1207 Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thank for the advice and I was planning making it on a smaller scale, an actual bee hive is about 27 inches by 18 inches that would a look of cake for 6 people. icon_smile.gif Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%