Fondant Is Shiny....help

Decorating By cakecreationsbylulu Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 11:33pm by Sweetwise

cakecreationsbylulu Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating with fondant and i love it.....but when I am done with the decorating there is powered sugar all over the fondant when I have tried to get off with a brush and water it leaves my fondant wet and shiny and takes forever to dry. Please help....when I am done how do I get the powered sugar off the fondant??????

4 replies
tipsytaartje Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

do not use as much powdered sugar as you do now. For example, roll put the sugar underneath the fondant and roll it out like a pizza, so do not turn it upside down like a pancake. icon_smile.gif

anxietyattack Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 5

you can brush off the extra PS with a dry brush and then try steaming the fondant to make it shiny. Or use alcohol instead of water to brush it. The alcohol dries much faster.

zespri Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 5

why are you using water on your brush? If there is no reason, then just use a dry brush instead.

Sweetwise Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 5

I like a shine, so I steam, which does a great job removing PS. If you don't want it, try using a small ball of fondant, and use it as a "buffer" to rub off the PS. This also works really great to remove any excess shortening from the fondant that might "grab" too much Super Pearl Dust, making it look splotchy. You would think a ball of fondant would stick to the fondant covered cake, but it doesn't.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%