Decorating By Cake_farmer Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm by leafO

Cake_farmer Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 16

What materials are used for the quilling? Fondant or gumpaste?

Are there any tricks to this, I love this effect and am considering it for my grandmothers 88th birthday...

15 replies
heyjules Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 16

Do you mean quilting?

Cake_farmer Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks. I meant Quilling. I have done it with paper, and love the idea of doing it on a cake...

Bskinne Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 16

If you wanted any of the pieces to stand up (like inthe quilling pic above) I would use gumpaste, or at least s 50/50 mix of gp and fondant. It needs to dry, and straight fondang will sag. If they are all laying down, you can use either.

dreamacres Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 16

really looks like fun. I would try a claygun for the stripes. I have not done it, not sure it would be thin enough? What do you think

PrivateNameHere Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 16

This is SUCH a cute idea! I never thought of doing that on a cake!

Bskinne Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 16
Originally Posted by dreamacres

really looks like fun. I would try a claygun for the stripes. I have not done it, not sure it would be thin enough? What do you think

That would work, I know the one I have has about 20 different attachments so you could get the right size....

brensmom12 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 2:36pm
post #9 of 16

WOW! I've never seen a cake done with this before. Thanks for asking the question, but now I have another cake idea I need to implement. Decisions, decisionsicon_smile.gif

bakencake Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 16

the off white tier not the blue. thank you!!!!

Cake_farmer Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:27pm
post #12 of 16

That pleating is very impressive. That looks like fabric!

jenscreativity Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 16

great topic~! Neat idea,,I'm going to try this too!

infinitsky Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:42pm
post #14 of 16

Read the picture's description. It says "billowing technique" which I have no idea what it is, but it is either gumpaste or fondant done on a dummy cake and then airbrushed (these are all in the photo description).

Further in the comments you can read "Thanks guys for the lovely comments. I can not teach this technique as it is not mine to teach. I am very lucky to have had Susan come over and teach me such a wonderful skill. I do know that she has a tutorial coming out on this technique in the Jan/Feb issue of Cake Central Magazine.


bakencake Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 16

infinitsky, I goofed! i thought i posted a new thread after reading this one (looked at all the awesome cakes posted in pics and flipped though all others in their page). icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif will re post, i hope.

leafO Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 16

I used gumpaste for the quilled butterflies on my daughters birthday cake but you could probably use 50/50 fondant gumpaste too. Just be sure to allow them time to dry so they stand up nicely icon_smile.gif


Quote by @%username% on %date%