What Is The Best Way To Make Ribbons On A Cake?

Decorating By bjackson0619 Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 1:50am by Niki11784

bjackson0619 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 11

i am new to this cake decorating thing and i always see nice clean ribbons on cakes to seperate the tiers...are those real ribbons or are they ade with fondant or gumpaste?

10 replies
Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 11

i think you are talking about real ribbons. Are there any threads that discuss tips for attaching ribbons to a cake properly? Would love to hear some!

bjackson0619 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 11

u suppose...im not realy sure i just know that i have seen it before and i wasnt sure if they use real ribbons or if they use fondant or gumpaste.

zespri Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 11

You've probably seen photos of both. Lots of people don't want non-edible stuff on their cakes, so would rather make a ribbon from fondant than use a fabric one.

You just need a ribbon cutter to make the ribbon perfect, then you dust the top with icing sugar to stop it sticking to itself, roll it up carefully so as not to damage the edges, put it in the fridge for a couple of minutes to firm it up so it's less likely to stretch. Then wrap it around the bottom of your tier. When you get to your starting point, overlap the ribbon, then use a fondant knife to cut through BOTH the beginning and the end of the ribbon. Remove the cut-offs, then your cuts should line up perfectly with each other. Wet your finger a little bit, and GENTLY rub the join for a little bit until the water on your finger dissolves the fondant enough to make it look like there is no join. I put 'gently' in capital letters because if you do it too hard you will stretch that part of the ribbon and it will be wider at that point than anywhere else. I suggest doing it side to side, rather than up and down.

HTH.

Niki11784 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 11

Is there anything else I can use to attach fabric ribbon to a cake besides for RI that doesnt show through the ribbon?

zespri Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 11

I don't use real ribbon so can't testify if this will show through, but a lot of people use melted white chocolate.

The one time I've done a real ribbon I just used a dressmakers pin with a pearl head so that it would be obvious it was there and not accidentally eaten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

Is there anything else I can use to attach fabric ribbon to a cake besides for RI that doesnt show through the ribbon?

Moondance Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 11

I always stick my ribbon to the cake with double sided sticky tape - it works beautifully and doesn' show through

Kellbella Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 11

To be honest....I just wrap the ribbon around the cake and use a glue stick to secure the ends together. I haven't had much luck with BC or RI....it always seeps through the ribbon and you see grease "dots" on the ribbon icon_cry.gif .

Niki11784 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:29am
post #9 of 11

Interesting! I am going to try double sided tape...does it wiggle around if you use a gluestick on end to end? There is nothing holding it to the cake, no?

Kellbella Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:49am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki11784

Interesting! I am going to try double sided tape...does it wiggle around if you use a gluestick on end to end? There is nothing holding it to the cake, no?

No wiggling if you wrap it tightly around the cake.

Niki11784 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 1:50am
post #11 of 11

thanks for the ideas! It didnt even occur to me to use something non edible- but it doesnt even touch the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%