Serve A Hot Cocoa Mug Cake?

Decorating By Herekittykitty Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm by Herekittykitty

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 4

Ok. I am making a Hot Cocoa mug cake for a birthday. It is straight sided (after 3 rebakes, I'm not even attempting to sculpt this sucker!) and composed of four 9" rounds torted and stacked.

Smore's cake - graham cracker cake, marshmallow B/C filling (torts) with chocolate ganache between layers (so 3 fills of MMBC and 3 of Ganache).

Since the ganache layer will be in the middle, can I put a cake circle between layers 2 and 3 then lift off the top two cakes? Thus essentially having two 9" two layer cakes to serve? (Just in case that doesn't make any sense: When I say layer I mean one 2" cake, torted.) Or will this just become a huge mess? If it is a bad, bad idea, then I'm open to suggestions. It is way too tall of a cake to serve as slices.

It will be "iced" in ganache and covered in MMF.

Do I add supports?

3 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 2:52am
post #2 of 4

Beauler....Beauler....

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:18am
post #3 of 4

yes, use supports, then cut & serve top 'layer/tier' remove circle, and cut the bottom 'layer/tier' icon_surprised.gif)

that's exactly how i constructed my 'pearl' octopus on the nemo stack cake in my gallery.

Herekittykitty Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks. mrsbriggs. That makes sense, I was afraid cutting the top would crush the bottom but if you put in supports, that won't happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%