Best Tasting Fondant? Any Advise?

Decorating By yodasmom Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 8:45pm by Cakegirl313

yodasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yodasmom Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 10

Hi! I am needing some help from my fellow bakers. I only bake for friends and family due to laws in Texas at the moment. I only use fondant for figures and small items right now because my friends and family do not like the texture and taste of current brands of fondant (satin ice, fondarific, wilton). I agree with them, so all my cakes are buttercream. However this limits my decorating ability. Does any one out there have a good recipe for fondant that is both pleasing to eat and easy to work with? Thanks in advance for any help!

9 replies
Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 10

Make your own, you can use it plain or flavored, and it's cheaper.
I use the recipe at http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 10

Michelle Foster's Fondant!! The recipe is on this site!!

MareOfAvon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MareOfAvon Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 10

I use this recipe a lot. Tastes excellent and easy to work and store!

LaWanda's White Chocolate Fondant
1/2 cup Heavy cream or liquid coffee creamer (I use White Chocolate/ Macadamia Nut)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 c white corn syrup
3 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 t clear vanilla
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 lb. powered Sugar. (I sift mine)

Mix cream with gelatin, allow to firm up 3-5 min. Set on double boiler with simmering water stirring until melted. Add corn syrup, white chocolate, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat & let cool till luke warm.

In large mixer bowl place about 2 lbs of the PS Pour liquid through strainer until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook, mix on low until sugar is well mixed then start adding about 1 cup of PS at a time until the fondant wraps around the dough hook. Place fondant on smooth surface dusted with PS & knead until smooth. Wrap fondant in greased plastic wrap, wrap again & place in plastic bag or air-tight container. Let it rest over night. icon_smile.gif

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 10

I only use my own marshmallow fondant recipe. It tastes really good and is easy to make and use. 16 oz. of marshmallows, 2TBL water and 2# powdered sugar.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MareOfAvon

I use this recipe a lot. Tastes excellent and easy to work and store!

LaWanda's White Chocolate Fondant
1/2 cup Heavy cream or liquid coffee creamer (I use White Chocolate/ Macadamia Nut)
3 pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 c white corn syrup
3 Tbsp real butter
3 Tbsp glycerin
2 t clear vanilla
6 oz white chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 lb. powered Sugar. (I sift mine)

Mix cream with gelatin, allow to firm up 3-5 min. Set on double boiler with simmering water stirring until melted. Add corn syrup, white chocolate, butter, glycerin and vanilla. Cook over simmering water until butter is almost melted. Remove from heat & let cool till luke warm.

In large mixer bowl place about 2 lbs of the PS Pour liquid through strainer until partially mixed. Attach to mixer using dough hook, mix on low until sugar is well mixed then start adding about 1 cup of PS at a time until the fondant wraps around the dough hook. Place fondant on smooth surface dusted with PS & knead until smooth. Wrap fondant in greased plastic wrap, wrap again & place in plastic bag or air-tight container. Let it rest over night. icon_smile.gif

Sounds like michelle foster's fondant just adding white chocolate!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:27pm
post #7 of 10

I buy aui swiss massa ticino. It tastes good and is like magic to work with.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 10

In a pinch, you could also add candy oils. Knead a drop or two into your commercial fondant. Strawberry, raspberry, cran-raspberry are my favorites. I get them from my cake supply store. I I've also seen them at Hobby Lobby but I don't know what flavors they carry. You only need a small drop or two and you can also add it to your BC to add flavor but not color. Well, they do have a bit of color but mixed into a lot of BC you can't really see it. Just an idea for you if you don't want to make your own fondant.

TattooMom25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TattooMom25 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 10

Yucko! I dont like fondant either! I use modeling chocolate that I make my self (cheap). Big plus for me is that its super easy to get out wrinkles and such b/c the heat of your hands just smoothes them out, like magic! Downside is also the heat of your hands, have to work quickly b/c it gets soft.

Cakegirl313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl313 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 10

Michelle Fosters fondant is yummy. That is all I make but to make it taste even better I always cover my cakes with a ganache instead of buttercream. When you eat a piece of the fondant with the ganache under it, it almost taste like the icing on a little debbie cake. I always hear great things back from my customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%