When Did You Start Your Business?

Business By schnumvf Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 2:03pm by costumeczar

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:48am
post #1 of 9

I'm wondering when y'all started your business. Let me clarify... I mean when did you know it was time, that your talent was strong enough, that this was IT? People tell me all the time that I should open a business... but those same people are blown away by a simple little swirl and sprinkles on the top of a cupcake. While I appreciate the compliment I'm not ready to open a business based on it. icon_smile.gif So..yeah... when did you know that you were ready to move forward and start a business?

8 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:18am
post #2 of 9

Good question!! I have always wanted to have my own business, well before the popularity of caking. LOL. I started my business (no storefront yet) officially in October. It took me a long time to do it even though I still don't think that I am good enough, but I have been feeling led to for quite some time. Eventually I will have my storefront but I don't have enough customers to support it right now.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:53am
post #3 of 9

When you can open debt free. In this economy, you don't want to open a business and potentially lose your house. Save your money, buy your equipment and practice while you save. I saved for 1 1/2 years.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnumvf

So..yeah... when did you know that you were ready to move forward and start a business?

When you're opening a business it's not just about how well you can produce product. It's how well can you run a business? Do you have business background? Have you done a business plan? The business plan usually answers the "am i ready" questions. Expecially when you get to the part about looking at your competition, you can compare your work with theirs if you're still worried about it.

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks guys. icon_smile.gif
Opening debt free is a wonderful tip. That is something that I am sure of if/when I start a business. Creating a business plan is something I have been looking into but I'm not ready to tackle it quite yet. I guess I'm still trying to make sure my talent level is good enough for a business? We are our worst critics! How confident were you in your skills when you opened up? (or made it official - for those of you who don't have a store front) Do you look back at those early days and laugh at your inexperience? Do you sigh in relief that you waited until you could win an episode of Food Network Challenge before opening for business? If you could do it all over again is there anything that you would change?

sarahp7467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahp7467 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 9

I am a little late replying to this.... But I started my business 9 months ago. Even though I am definitly not an expert baker or decorating and I am still learning a lot about business, I do not regret opening before I was ready. If I had waited until I was "ready" I probably would never do it. My goal is to have a storefront in at least 5 years and in the mean time I am being paid to learn and building my name and clientell so I can open a storefront with little to no debt icon_smile.gif

Good luck!!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:01am
post #7 of 9

I'm the opposite. I never have and never will want a storefront. I built a home bakery in my basement and love having my job right here. I can stay up until 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. and roll right into bed. But that's just my own preference. I am right where I want to be business-wise. As for when I knew I was ready to open business, I knew I wanted to have my own business and worked for 18 months to open it. I practiced hard during those times along with the manual labor of renovating my basement for this new bakery. Running the business, however, is much different than I anticipated. It's so much more time consuming than I ever thought it would be. While I absolutely love it, I pretty much work every single day of the week, regardless of if I'm working on cakes or working on making the business run. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done, handled, paid, scheduled, cleaned, bought, etc. It's a lot of work! Most days I love it! But there are days I miss punching the clock and coming home and leaving work at work (thankfully those days don't outnumber the Love-It days, so I'm good!)

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:57am
post #8 of 9

tootie, I'm with you... basement bakery, work any time I feel like it, and I never want a storefront. I opened when I finished building it with cash. My only overhead is an electric bill.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I'm the opposite. I never have and never will want a storefront. I built a home bakery in my basement and love having my job right here. I can stay up until 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. and roll right into bed. But that's just my own preference. I am right where I want to be business-wise. As for when I knew I was ready to open business, I knew I wanted to have my own business and worked for 18 months to open it. I practiced hard during those times along with the manual labor of renovating my basement for this new bakery. Running the business, however, is much different than I anticipated. It's so much more time consuming than I ever thought it would be. While I absolutely love it, I pretty much work every single day of the week, regardless of if I'm working on cakes or working on making the business run. There is ALWAYS something that needs to be done, handled, paid, scheduled, cleaned, bought, etc. It's a lot of work! Most days I love it! But there are days I miss punching the clock and coming home and leaving work at work (thankfully those days don't outnumber the Love-It days, so I'm good!)

So true, all of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%