Mixing Vodka With Luster Dust Safe?

Decorating By Abrandt09 Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 2:55am by mom2twogrlz

Abrandt09 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:51am
post #1 of 7

I'm new to the decorating world so this may sound dumb but I have been reading alot about mixing vodka with luster dust to make edible paint. But is this safe to do when kids will be eating the cake? I know its such a small amount that I'm sure it wouldn't hurt but I just wanted to know if all the alcohol would still be present? Thanks!!

6 replies
debster Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:54am
post #2 of 7

The alcohol evaperates I was told. Haven't gotten anybody drunk yet......................hehe

smbegg Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:05am
post #3 of 7

It is safe. First of all, you do not use that much and a majority of it evaporates, that is why you use it.

HaydenSC Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:07am
post #4 of 7

Yes, it is safe. I use Everclear. It has so much alcohol in it that I can practically see it evaporate before my eyes!

Abrandt09 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:27am
post #5 of 7

Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif I just didn't feel 100% comfortable using it without exactly knowing!!

heyjules Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:35am
post #6 of 7

If you're worried, I've found clear vanilla to be an acceptable substitute, though I've only painted small areas and not a whole cake.

mom2twogrlz Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjules

If you're worried, I've found clear vanilla to be an acceptable substitute, though I've only painted small areas and not a whole cake.




The problem I found with the vanilla is that after it evaporates it leaves a little bit of a paste type texture behind, especially if alot is used. I like vodka or rum better, it evaporates completely. And you are talking about a few drops on the entire cake. Even if it didn't evaporate off the amount in each serving is barely a trace.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%