Cake Pricing And Sizes Sorry So Long

Decorating By yates77 Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 4:04am by pattycakesnj

yates77 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:30am
post #1 of 7

I had someone ask me to do a cake to feed at least 20. Lemon cake with custard filling and covered in vanilla buttercream. They also wanted 3-d fondant characters (Mickey,Minnie and friends) as edible cake toppers. I quoted them $100.00 for a 12" square cake (including 4 characters) They got back to me letting me know that they only wanted to spend $60-$70 and maybe only 15 servings, so I said I could do an 8" square cake with two 3-d characters for $70.00. After dropping off a deposit yesterday they contacted me today and said the 8" would be too small and wanted me to do a bigger cake for same price or give back the deposit. I have told them that the industry standard servings for an 8" cake would feed 20 ( I was thinking even 16 servings for slightly bigger servings 2"x2") but I have no problem giving the deposit back as I cannot accomidate a larger cake at what they are willing to pay. I guess I am wondering if I handled this the right way?
Sorry this is so long icon_redface.gif

Also what are your policies on deposits. I almost started making the characters today thank goodness I didn't or I would have been out money!

6 replies
CWR41 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:40am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by yates77

I have told them that the industry standard servings for an 8" cake would feed 20

32 servings for 8". Industry standard: 1" x 2" x 4" (8 cu. in.)

indydebi Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 7

are you talking single layer or 2 layer cake? 'Coz a 8" square single layer will serve 16 (2x2x2 ... cake cut in 4 rows by 4 columns) and a 2-layer will serve 32 (1x2x4 .... cake cut in 8 rows by 4 columns).

12" square single serves 36.
12" square double serves 72.

10" square single serves 25.
10" square double serves 50.

yates77 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:13am
post #4 of 7

Sorry I am newer to the cake world. I was going by the wilton party serving chart. What chart are you going by so I know what to look at. It would have been a two layer cake.

indydebi Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 7

Here's the wilton wedding chart that I use:
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

I even use this for family events and birthday parties. I carefully watch everyone's reaction to the portion size and never had a problem or complaint.

CWR41 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:02am
post #6 of 7

Either way, single layer 2" x 2" x 2" (8 cu. in.) or double layer 1" x 2" x 4" (8 cu. in.), that's a lot of work for just barely over $2.00 per serving. It's good you decided not to accommodate... I doubt they'd find a better deal than what you quoted--so their loss. If you want to rethink your prices per serving, use the Wilton wedding cake serving guide.

pattycakesnj Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:04am
post #7 of 7

I require a 50% deposit upfront, non refundable and the balance is due 30 days prior to the event. You can price cakes by the serving or by the design. I price by serving size but then the 3d characters are all extra.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%