Any Tips When Making A Fondant Cake In The Summer>?

Decorating By kneenah Updated 30 Jan 2011 , 4:05pm by cheatize

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:24am
post #1 of 7

Ive been making cakes for a few weeks now and ive notice when i my fondant gets soft fast cuz the heat.. any suggests how to prevent that, aside from opening a window lol... What do i do when its june and my apartment is heat? are my cakes going to always fall apart?

6 replies
Tacy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tacy09 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #2 of 7

I sometimes have trouble with the humidity too, but I just turn the air on as high as Im allowed lol and work in small intervals and then put my cake in the fridge to harden up.

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 5:57am
post #3 of 7

not sure if this is true but can i bake the cake the day before and decorate the following day and the cake still taste good?

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:06am
post #4 of 7

Yes, just cover the cake with plastic wrap well!!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:18am
post #5 of 7

I recently made a cake in almost 100% humidity, I was sweating like mad, it was horrible. I just kept it covered in plastic wrap and only unwrapped the part I was working on at the time. And kept putting it in and out of the fridge.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:46am
post #6 of 7

i dont have air con.. its the height of summer in aust atm, and i have the most cakes to do this month!! lol. i find it easier to work either earlier in the morning or at night once its cooled. for both my own sanity's sake and also for best results. if the fondant gets "mushy" just knead in more powdered sugar.

I also bake a few days in a advcane and freeze theme. youll find most people follow a two-three day time line.. bake one day, fill crumb coat next day, then decorate the day after. cakes are still fine. ive had one last a whole week before being eaten and its was (apparently) still great.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 7

I have worked on a cake while it's in the fridge. Seriously. I stood there with the fridge door open and decorated it. It was still very difficult, thanks to the heat and humidity. If you don't have air conditioning or a dehumidifier, the only thing I can think of is to pack up your supplies, find a friend who does have air conditioning, and decorate there. We have window air conditioning now but sometimes even that is not enough. It's extremely frustrating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%