Plastique/marzipan Under Fondant??

Decorating By SgtGoodie Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 6:28am by SgtGoodie

SgtGoodie Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:20am
post #1 of 5

I'm looking through my cake decor books and magazines again for some ideas. One of my books is by Mich Turner called (of course) "Wedding Cakes" and in her recipes I notice that all of the cake has two layers of frosting. One is a light yellowish tan color and the other is white and I remember in another book of mine called "The Well Decorated Cake" by Toba Garrett she covered a cake with marzipan and then many layers of royal icing achieving a vrey smooth finished look.

Looking further through the Mich Turner book I see that she discusses wrapping cake in marzipan or with chocolate plastique to be covered with either royal icing or rolled fondant. Her book actually says that "it is essential to first cover your cake with marzipan or chocolate plastique" and that "it will lock in moisture, provide a smooth firm base for a smart finish with your top coat, and prevents color of your cake from leaching into the icing."

So even though I've had these books for some time I didn't notice this. I covered my cakes with a chocolate ganasch before putting on the fondant. Does anyone know how these layers taste on the cake? Can they go under a buttercream icing? I would imagine that the chocolate may taste better. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
bobhope Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 5

i haven't tried covering cakes first w/ marzipan, but i've used it for molding figures & they tasted good icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 5

In England the traditional celebration cake is fruit cake. The fruit cake was covered with a layer of marzipan to seal in any juices that might seep out, then covered with royal icing or, more recently, fondant.

You can use marzipan on a regular, American-style cake and it will taste good...but it's really expensive here. The little 7 oz tube in the grocery store goes for about $5, and you can make your own, but almond meal is about $12 per pound.

dchockeyguy Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 5

Texas Rose is correct. also, keep in mind that many people have nut allergies, so if you use Marzipan, you need to let the customer know. That's one reason I generally don't use it.

SgtGoodie Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:28am
post #5 of 5

The cake is for my daughter. (yes another daughter getting maried) I'm not sure what kind of cake I'll make this time.

Toba Garrett mentioned in her book that the process is much more a European thing than here in the USA. Her book said that the Marzipan would be covered with many thin layers of royal icing which ended up beng practically perfectly smooth.

I would like to cover it with a thin layer and then buttercream (not sure what flavor as of yet but it will be snow white). If not, I think a nice semi-soft layer of tasty white chocolate plastique under royal will be fine depending on the flavor of the WCP.

Mich's book has the recipe for WCP and in her book there's a list of celebrities that she has made the wedding cakes for which is quite an impressive list.

I'm actually thinking of trying to use light chocolate cream cake and raspberry swirled cheesecake under the WCP and whatever I end up using on the outside. I'm not sure yet.

Have any of you all ever tried to put c layer of cheesecake in the center of your wedding cakes like a filling. I was thinking of splitting each chocolate cremecake and filling with a dark chocolate fillng so there would be two layers of cake with DC filling on top of thecheesecake filling layer and another just like it under the cheesecake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%