Valentines Cake Box Cakes

Decorating By Cakegirl313 Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 3:09pm by Cakegirl313

Cakegirl313 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 12:58am
post #1 of 3

Hey, I'm trying to make some valentines cake boxes for my childrens teachers. I thought about making small heart cakes and then cut them in half, then hollowing out part of the middle of one and cover in fondant so I can put some truffles inside. But my problem comes in with the lid of the box. I thought I could use the other half of the cake and hang it off the other piece slightly to look like an open box of chocolate. How would I do this. I was thiniking I could put it on a board too and cover it in fondant but wouldn't the bottome cardboard show. Does this make sense? O would I cover the board first and then put the cake on top. Oh I am so lost on this one. I would practice a couple but Valentines day isn't to far away and I don't have the time to do it so I thought I would pick all of your brains. Thanks for the help.

2 replies
mo_gateaux Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:16am
post #2 of 3

What a sweet idea!
Have you ever seen the boxes that Bakerella made? Here's the link: http://www.bakerella.com/a-valentines-day-gift-box-of%E2%80%A6/ (if it doesn't work google bakerella, go to CAKEBALLS and then A VALENTINE'S DAY GIFT BOX OF...).
I think this looks like the best way of doing it... then you could always make a lid out of gumpaste with no cake that would fit over it all.
Can't wait to see a picture of what you end up with!

Cakegirl313 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for that link, that is just awesome!!!! I think that is exactly how I will do it. I think it will also help cut down on the hassle of cutting out the center of the cake. And I probably will make the top out of gumpaste. I think I will go ahead and make the cakes now and freeze them so all I have to do it pull them out and go with it but I could already outline the cake so I can get the lid made and set to dry until Valentines day. Thank you again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%