Pleats On Stacked Cake

Decorating By Cocobongo Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm by Cocobongo

Cocobongo Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 6

Hi

I've got a 3 tiered cake to do, and the bottom tier and top tier will have pleats on them. I think I get how to make the pleats but my question is more about finishing them.

Say I have the bottom tier as a 12" round. I put the pleats all the way round. What do it do on the top of the cake to finish it, so that I can stack the next tier neatly and securely? I'm putting flowers on top of the 3rd tier, but again, am wondering how far in to the top of that cake the pleats would go. I'm not so concerned about the top as the flowers will cover it, but more that bottom tier.

My other question is, if I'm overlapping the pleats, when I get back to where I started, is it easy enough just to tuck the pleat under the 1st one I put on the cake?

One last question, should I use fondant with tylose for this... do I need the tylose?

TIA

Coco x

5 replies
DianeLM Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 6

Cut all your strips the same length so that the tops will make a nice neat circle an inch or so smaller than the circumfrence of the tier that will go above it.

I'm assuming you'll be using simply folded strips, so the thickness will be uniform on the top of the cake. If you are actually planning to scrunch or gather at the top, then you'll probably want to take a small pair of scissors and trim away the excess so that all the pleating material isn't bunched too high on the top of the tier.

Think of the pleating material on the top of the tier as the 'icing' on the top of that tier. Cut your dowels (or whatever you use for support) so they are level with the highest points of the pleats. This will prevent the next tier from squishing or cracking the pleats. Don't worry that the dowels in the center will be sticking up out of the cake. No one will see that. If you want, you can fill the circle with icing, but it's not necessary.

Place a folded piece of wax paper under your first pleat so when you get all the way around, you can slip the wax paper out and tuck your last pleat in.

You don't need to add tylose to your fondant for this.

Cocobongo Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 9:20am
post #3 of 6

Wow Diane, I think you answered everything for me. Thanks you so much. I had wondered whether to stack first and cut the strips the pefrect size so they don't go under the next tier, but that all makes sense and I thinhk will be neater.

Great tip about the wax paper too. So simple, yet it didn't occur to me!!!

Thanks again for your help icon_smile.gif

Coco x

DianeLM Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 6

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 6

Are the pleats vertical or horizontal?

Cocobongo Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 6

Hi there

They are vertical pleats.