Stackable German Chocolate, Covered With Fondant?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 10:04pm by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake coming up this weekend - simple enough - they would like a 2 layer cake covered with fondant. They would like it to be a German Chocolate cake with pecan/coconut filling and covered with milk choc buttercream. The only recipe I've used for German Chocolate cake is the one from the Baker's Sweet Chocolate Bar box - that cake is VERy delicate and tender. I don't think it will hold up well under the weight of the fondant....Does anyone have a mild chocolate cake recipe that would work well with pecan/coconut filling?

2 replies
Suzie757 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 3

You could always do a WASC version with a German Chocolate mix and still make the filling from scratch.
In my opinion though you should still be ok making it from scratch being that you are only doing 2 layers. I would just make sure the cake is really cold or even semi-frozen when you work with it.

dukeswalker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Suzie- I did make a batch from scratch this afternoon and it is just. so. delicate. I'm afraid it would be a flat little pancake after sitting under the weight of the fondant for any length of time. I think I will use the WASC version using the German Choc. cake mixes....but then I'm afraid it will be too dense to work with the rich filling. lol! Never prefect, right? icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%