How To Charge For A 3 Tier Whimsey Alice In Wonderland Cake

Decorating By MommyEdzards Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 7:58pm by sillywabbitz

MommyEdzards Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 2

Just got a request for a 3 tiered whimsey ( crooked) cake. Alice in Wonderland is the theme, and she wants Alice's legs sticking out of the top of the cake like she has fallen in the rabbits hole with her dress flown up.
I have never made a whimsey cake, but after looking at a few tutorials I think I can manage it. I usually charge a certain amout per serving, but I am not sure about this complex of a cake. I am in Kansas City. How do you charge these?

1 reply
sillywabbitz Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 2

You would obviosely upcharge for the extra work in it being Topsy Turvy (whismey) as well as all the fondant decorations that would be added for the characters and legs etc. Without knowing your price structure nad your area, I would say if your normal price is say $3 a serving, up to $5 a serving plus a flat fee for fondant decor.

Also do NOT use slippery fillings in a topsy turvy. Use buttercream between the layers and strong buttercream or ganache to support the sides. I made an Alice cake topsy cake without doing a test run first, I used a slippery filling and buttercream (during the summer) and it crashed after I had put 7 hrs into the cake. So I highly recommend you do a test run and you stick with a very study cake and filling. If you do those things I think you will be great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%