Will My Pound Cake Soften??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 3:41am by scp1127

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 5

So I baked my butter vanilla pound cake (Recipe from here..very good) in the cast iron 3D lamb cakepan the customer requested I use.I guess it is a heirloom in the family and every child has this 3D lamb as their first birthday cake..So I baked the cake yesterday and it took about 1 hour and 15 minutes..I knew it would as it is pound cake..The face and ears of course baked more and kinda crisy even though I put foil over top to keep it from burning.I let it cool but notcied that the entire top started to dry out so I wrapped it completely up and refridgerated both sides....Today I go to the fridge as I am doing other cakes and I touch it and it feels very hard..I mean dry...So I take it out and put it together and completely cover with BC to keep what is left of the moisture in...

My question is this....will the pound cake soften a bit once it comes to room temp?? I hope so cause it is awful dense and kinda hard..I already mentioned to the customer I would have to use a pound cake recipe to bake in her pan as a mix wouldn't hold up and she was fine with that but I don't want her to complain it is too dry and want her money back...I already gave her a good deal on the cake even though I used a scratch cake recipe for the cake and not mixes so there alone was much more in ingredient cost...

I hope someone will tell me the cake will soften a bit....

4 replies
scp1127 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 5

My grandmother's recipe is very dense, but not dry. Over time, and being covered, it seems to get more moist. I would have done what you did with the pound cake.

cakeastic Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 5

Try brushing it with a bit of simple syrup icon_wink.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5

I'm wondering about the hard/dry feeling. I have a pound cake recipe that I use that gets a thin, crispy, hard, dry crust on the top as it bakes. I just trim that off and the rest is great. The first time i tried it I thought it was because the recipe had me separating the eggs, whipping the whites and then folding them into the batter as a last step. The next time I tried just adding the eggs whole and it still crusted. So I just deal with it because it's such a yummy recipe.

scp1127 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:41am
post #5 of 5

My grandmother's gets a crust on the top, but it is the best part. We would go by and crack a piece off when we were kids. My kids still eat the bottom first and save the last bite as the part with the crust. It almost tastes like I sprinkled sugar on the top, but I don't. It is a bumpy top with craters. My crust is the same color as the cake. I take my cakes out just shy of being done (a few wet crumbs) because the center keeps baking for a few minutes. Try cooking your a little less and see if you get a great crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%