Airbrush - Siphon (Bottom) Or Gravity (Above)?

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 8:41pm by cloetzu

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 16

I've been watching a few videos on airbrushing cakes and all seem to use a gravity fed system - i.e. the color goes in a little basin above the air brush.... the ones I've seen at my local craft store come in both versions... gravity and siphon... i like the idea of the gravity fed ones but most don't have little covers over the part you add the color to so woudn't it be prone to spills?? I mean when you turn the brush 90 degress to the top of the cake to write wouldn't the color flow out over the top? they siphon ones seem to need more color in the jars so that when you tilt the airbrush and the color flows to one side of the jar the tub in jar needs to stay submerged thus needing more liquid so may be more of a waste?

Wondering what others have found/prefer?

15 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 16

gravity, the one with the little cup ontop of the brush. you only use drops of colour at a time, ive never filled mine to the top.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 16

mine is gravity and have never spilled it and I fill to the top

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 16

It really depends on you. Whatever one you learn with will probably be your favorite. I use both kinds. You don't want to use a Jar one tho- because the jar would be huge and get in the way. They also come with a side cup-

The Paasche Talon has a cover, The Grex brush has a cover. Those are both gravity feeds. I think the Iwata eclipse has a cover too- IF you get the Talon, make sure to get the larger needle set. The grex has lots of options for you- you can even use a trigger one with it that is sorta like a gun. Iwatas are really fine brushes that are more use for tiny detail, not for pearl dusts and stuff.

The paasche millenium and VL are siphon feeds that have a cup on the side. You can tilt it when you are going to work more straight up.

Gravity feed brushes need less pressure to work- But siphon feeds tend to handle thicker liquids.

cloetzu Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 16

thanks everyone!!

I have a compressor so only need an airbrush... having said that can anyone tell me how the ones 'made for cake decorating' compare? for example the Kopy Kake® AIR MASTER® Complete SYSTEM or Geraldine's Airbrush System (the ABCS)?

Good to know that Iwata aren't good for poweders/pearl dusts - I want one that will be good for all icon_wink.gif

I looked at the Talon but didn't see anythign that would say larger needle or not???

I think I've gotten to the point that there are so many options that I'm more confused than ever! ;( that's why i was asking about the cake specific ones...

any recommendations with links to specific ones so that I dont' get more confused would be GREATLY appreciated!! Looking for somethign that would be a good overall brush that works well with color (airbrush colors or gel diluted in alcohol) and pearls...

JanetBme Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 16

For the Talon try here for info: http://www.paascheairbrush.com/daa_gravityfeed.html It tells you which is the larger head /needle aircap assembly for pearlescent paints- it will run anything for you. But don't buy it there- go to bear air or chicago airbrush supply for cheaper.

I have two Talons but got the original one before it was widely out to the public- and they had only the first size- so I still go back to my millenium (just haven't ordered the larger tip/needle set). Paasche airbrushes are the easiest to deal with IMHO- and they are capable of doing the highest quality of work.

I'm not fond of the KK- it is a pain to clean and put together- it doesn't run pearl well. I think it as kinda like one of those Fat crayons they give you in kindergarten- anyone can learn to use it even without practicing. It's push a button on and off. You can spray a whole cake or do stencils- and it doesn't take much practice. Most grocery stores have that type of brush- look at your nearest grocery store and see if that's the airbrushing you want.

They have been marketing the grex at the cake shows- I don't have it, but it seems to be a really nice brush! http://www.grexusa.com/grexairbrush/

cloetzu Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks JanetBme!

the only places around me that sell any airbrushes are Micheal's, a small hobby store (that sells airbrushes for car & plane models) and an auto store.... the hobby store has the most selection but is super expensive.... the auto store has 2 no name brands so Micheal's is my only option unless I buy online. Thanks for the info and the links!!!

I looked at the site and it seems like the .38 head comes with it and then you can add a .25 (for fine lines) or the .66 (for thicker and for pearls) so either one of these sets will do for me:

Paasche Double Action Gravity Feed:
TG-SET Full Set with (.38 & .66mm Heads) 149.00
TG-3F TG w/ (.25,.38,.66mm & fan aircap) 178.00

The Grex have that cool handle and a pull trigger which I haven't seen on other airbrushes and may be more comfortable to use so may need to read more no them too.

THANKS JanetBme!!!!!!

JanetBme Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloetzu

Thanks JanetBme!

the only places around me that sell any airbrushes are Micheal's, a small hobby store (that sells airbrushes for car & plane models) and an auto store.... the hobby store has the most selection but is super expensive.... the auto store has 2 no name brands so Micheal's is my only option unless I buy online. Thanks for the info and the links!!!

I looked at the site and it seems like the .38 head comes with it and then you can add a .25 (for fine lines) or the .66 (for thicker and for pearls) so either one of these sets will do for me:

Paasche Double Action Gravity Feed:
TG-SET Full Set with (.38 & .66mm Heads) 149.00
TG-3F TG w/ (.25,.38,.66mm & fan aircap) 178.00

The Grex have that cool handle and a pull trigger which I haven't seen on other airbrushes and may be more comfortable to use so may need to read more no them too.

THANKS JanetBme!!!!!!

Both the badger and the crescendo at Micheal's are fine brushes too- if you don't want to order on line. I've had both- (back in the day before on line!) badger Crescendo has a huge barrel- so other cake people will look at it funny- but it will run anything you put thru it. The nuimbered badger is comprable to a paasche- they just used to be a little harder to put together.

You can get a paasche alone for around $65-75 - but it doesn't come with all the little cool tools and hard case that the kit comes with. Don't get the big kit- you won't ever need to use the other caps/needles for cakes. I think bear air ships airbrushes for free...I know one of them does.

suzieq1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzieq1980 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 6:34pm
post #9 of 16

My husband ordered me one for Christmas from www.uscakesupply.com it is a gravity one and has a cover on the cup. They have a lot to choose from. I really like mine, he even ordered a large set of americolor for me to practice with. I don't know if it this will help any but it will give you something to check out.

cloetzu Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

Both the badger and the crescendo at Micheal's are fine brushes too- if you don't want to order on line. I've had both- (back in the day before on line!) badger Crescendo has a huge barrel- so other cake people will look at it funny- but it will run anything you put thru it. The nuimbered badger is comprable to a paasche- they just used to be a little harder to put together.

You can get a paasche alone for around $65-75 - but it doesn't come with all the little cool tools and hard case that the kit comes with. Don't get the big kit- you won't ever need to use the other caps/needles for cakes. I think bear air ships airbrushes for free...I know one of them does.

thanks good to know about the ones at Micheal's! I was looking at the kit/set versions only because they had the hose that goes with the airbrush... i wonder if I can use the next 50% off coupan at Micheal's to get one

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 16

I have one that has the jar that attaches to the bottom of it and I much rather have the top feed kind. It's a pain to clean, change colors, etc. and you do have to put alot more color in the jar then if you would just put a few drops in the top feed kind. I've used both and I much rather use the gravity one!

cloetzu Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetBme

badger Crescendo has a huge barrel- so other cake people will look at it funny- but it will run anything you put thru it....

JanetBme - is the the Badger or the Crescendo that will run anything you put in it?

cloetzu Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 16

I went to Micheals to look at the Badger and Crescendo .... all i could look at was the empty boxes and no one around to help - everyone was 'busy'.... in any case one was $219 and the other $229 so even with a 50% off coupon would be $100 + and I couldn't tell if these were just the airbrushes or airbrush and air hose etc... We have another Michaels near by so I may try that one tomorrow to see if I can get some help ... if these are just the airbrushes then I think I can find something cheaper and better online - like the Paasche...

Kaylani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 30 Jan 2011 , 7:10pm
post #14 of 16

Does anyone know of a good DVD for airbrushing cake? Not designs, but more of a how to on the machines & liquids?

cloetzu Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 16

I too would love to get a recommendation on a DVD like this icon_wink.gif

cloetzu Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:41pm
post #16 of 16

was just wondering if someone can help explain the differences they find with single action vs double when it comes to decorating cakes? do you really find you need one over the other? or what versatility does one give over the other?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%