Bushes And Rocks

Decorating By cakewhiz Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 11:09pm by Bskinne

cakewhiz Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make some bushes for an outdoor theme on a cake. I really don't want to get into anything that is not edible (like wires)....but still would like to create a realistic looking bush. I was thinking of inverting the tip an ice cream cone and putting leaves on that, but then it would look like a small christmas tree...which I didn't want.

Also, I need to create some edible rocks. Would you suggest I marbleize fondant and create some irregular round shapes? Or do you have another idea?

I am kinda stumped on this one and thought I'd turn to all of you for some help and guidance. Any suggestions?

7 replies
Motorhead Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 8

depending on the size of your rocks, i found that marbling fondant works excelent! but there are rock looking candies at my local bulk food store that would work excellent! as for bushes-tough one, i made evergreens by taking a cone of green fondant and using small sizzors and cutting the fondant. could you not try making small green rounds and texturizing and cutting into them with sizzors? HTH icon_redface.gif

NanaSandy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 8

I also use the scissors to make bushes.
For rocks, I wanted the candy that looks like rocks, but in my small town we didn't have any. So, I bought some jelly belly's and they worked great!! I used them on my Thomas the Train cake in my pictures, they are around the tunnel.

Herekittykitty Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 8

I too buy candy that looks like rocks at a bulk candy store.

Sorry, don't have any suggestions on the bushes, but Sandy and Motorhead's idea sounds feasible.

Sorelle Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 8

Walmart now sells candy rocks, I usually marble black and white with fondant to make them because its cheaper but the candy rocks taste better.
I have made bushes from modeling chocolate over wire for branches then ri for leaves also have dipped grape stems for branches instead of wire. For a winter shrub I don't add leaves instead dust with powdered sugar. hth

poohsmomma Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 8

Just wondering...Could you take a large marshmallow and pipe leaves onto those for bushes? or something like those large yucky-tasting filled Easter eggs? or cupcakes? or mini-cupcakes?

Sorelle Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Just wondering...Could you take a large marshmallow and pipe leaves onto those for bushes? or something like those large yucky-tasting filled Easter eggs? or cupcakes? or mini-cupcakes?

I gotta try this, think how good they would taste if the leaves were made out of white chocolate yum!

Bskinne Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 8

I did a garden cake, http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1741852 , and I used a small leaf cutter and cut a ton of leaves out of gumpaste. I then attached them to small balls of fondant with icing. Not sure how big your bushes are, but maybe something like this would work for you. I would also do marbelized fondant for rocks. I also did that for my jungle cake, http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1741843 . HTH! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%