Packer Helmet Cake

Decorating By SuzyNoQ Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 1:27am by doodledo

SuzyNoQ Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 9

At the beginning of the football season I promised my kids a Packer helmet cake if they made it to the Super Bowl (this is the second season I promised this) I intend to make good on my promise, what are some good,easy ways to make a helmet cake, it doesn't need to have alot of servings since it will be for 4 people.

8 replies
hbarberycakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 9

I'd like to know too! I'm making a helmet for my dad's birthday in a couple weeks icon_smile.gif

Sarahbearah Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 9

Dowel the bottom really well, and make sure the you put a piece of cake board between the layers so that it can support the top layer, just make sure you give it a good support system.. As long as that is good, then you'll be fine, I have made a total of 4 so far, and they are simple as long as you have a good support.

snocilla Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 9

On my helmet cake, I used two 6x2" rounds, and half of a 6" ball pan. Stack the two, 6" layers. Then cut off about a quarter to a third on one side. Then put the half ball on a board and place on top. Make sure you put a a dowel through all the cake to hold it on. Then I carved just a little around the bottom edges to make it a little more round.

I made the face mask section in advance, with gumpaste ropes. I let them dry on a 5" - 6" round container for shape and just attached it to the front.

Here is the finished product:

Sangriacupcake Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 9

If you want to go the easy way, Wilton makes a 2d helmet pan. If you have kids, you'll get a lot of use out this in future years.

pummy Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 9

This is an old post with pics. I plan to do one too.

snocilla Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by pummy

This is an old post with pics. I plan to do one too.

Yep! This is the post that I used as a guide last year, I just couldn't find it!

pmarks0 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 9
doodledo Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:27am
post #9 of 9

Sorry, I only know how to make a STEELER helmet!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%