How To Make Fondant Into Gumpaste

Decorating By bellosoc Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 1:17am by audrey0522

bellosoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellosoc Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:53am
post #1 of 5

I saw a video online about making fondant into gumpaste.... I didn't know that was possible.... I don't like to make fondant I buy the one already made good thing to me because is the one call satin ice which is the one I usually use, but in the video the guy is using already made fondant but he said we can add GUM TRAGACANTH or CMC power. but he doesn't say if it will make the fondant as strong as regular gumpaste have any of you use this recipe before??? or will it ruin the fondant or it will taste even worst than original gumpaste?? Any advise will be extremely appreciated. Any of your input will be helpful.

4 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:23am
post #2 of 5

well in the wilton classes we added gum-tex to fondant to make it stronger.. it doesnt make it as hard as gumpase but it makes it hold its shape better..

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:24am
post #3 of 5

What decorations are you wanting to make? Normally gumpaste decorations are not eaten as they are rock hard. I use a mix of 50/50 (fondant and gumpaste) when making bows, ribbons or covering a board in fondant.
I add tylose powder to my fondant to achieve this. If I am making flowers I use straight gumpaste (Wilton, Ck Products - Gum Paste Mix, Marcella Sanchez.) Adding the tylose, gum tragacanth or cmc powder will make the fondant taste as bad as regular gumpaste.

bellosoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellosoc Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:06am
post #4 of 5

Ohh I thought it was going to be the same as gumpaste, thanks for your help and I do want to make flowers and different decorations for the cakes I am learning to make. thanks for the help. I will stick to my regular gumpaste then.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 1:17am
post #5 of 5

I add tylose powder to fondant and it helps the fondant to harden fast. You can roll it really thin.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%