Piping Roses On A Stick With Smbc

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm by FromScratchSF

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:17am
post #1 of 12

I have seen and heard of this method, so with some leftover SMBC today I thought I'd give it a try and FAIL. Could not get the BC to stick to the stick like I have seen in some You Tube videos, these lovely talented ladies are obviously using American BC (and jamming thru those things so fast my head spins!). Does anyone out there pipe roses in the method AND have you done it with either SMBC or IMBC?

If it's possible I'll keep at it, if not I'll stick to nail which I am stupidly slow at icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Jen

11 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 12

I,ve piped roses with imbc. I make smbc and imbc. I did not use the stick. you, ve made me want to try that. i haven,t tried it with smbc yet either. there is a c/cer that has beutiuful cakes with beautiful flowers using imbc. I think her user name is heavenlycakes. I have used the stick with american b/c. I hope if someone who has used smbc or imbc and piped roses on a stick , they will see this and help .

FancyPantsBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:51am
post #3 of 12

I have actually made tiny roses with smbc on a stick and it was the only way I could make them come out looking right LOL Lame I know but I cant use a nail to save my life. If you look at my pictures then you will see the cake (since I only have 2 on there at the moment) It was for my friends graduation cake when she graduated from medical assisting school.

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:03am
post #4 of 12

i too would like to know how to do this do you have any tips on how to do them?

FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:31am
post #5 of 12

it took a lot of practice and for me I had to remember not to make them to big or they would start to slide down the stick. That was the only time I ever made them and I taught myself just for that cake. They stress me out though.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 8:22am
post #6 of 12

Buttercream only here. I wanted to comment on the roses sliding down the stick. You can make them using up as much of the stick's length as you'd like because the rows of petals will end up where they're suppose to be when removed from the stick. As long as you're piping the rows onto the stick where you know they are sticking, it should work (rather than piping all of it at the tip which would cause it to fall over or fall off from the build up of the total weight. HTH.

FromScratchSF Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 9:06am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Buttercream only here. I wanted to comment on the roses sliding down the stick. You can make them using up as much of the stick's length as you'd like because the rows of petals will end up where they're suppose to be when removed from the stick. As long as you're piping the rows onto the stick where you know they are sticking, it should work (rather than piping all of it at the tip which would cause it to fall over or fall off from the build up of the total weight. HTH.

Does that mean you use crusting buttecream? The problem is SMBC doesn't seem to stick to the stick, I was hoping for a trick or something to it? But maybe I should practice with the crusting BC to get the hang of it, then try with the other stuff.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 10:13am
post #8 of 12

Unlimited....you have mad buttercream rose skillz!!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 12

I have done this a few times with WBH Buttercream but the icing has to be really cold and stiff otherwise it falls down the stick too...

FancyPantsBaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 12

ok so last night I was playing around with another cake and decided to try my hand at using the flower nail for roses and wiltons xsbc (extra special buttercream) and I am amazed that I was actually able to get roses to form, I usually have HUGE problems with the buttercream wanting to fold over on itsself because its too soft but I love this buttercream, it tastes awsome you can more or less get it pretty smooth (need to try the viva trick with it though) and it pipes out the prettiest roses. no need to change the consistancy oh and it pipes amazingly as well.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Unlimited....you have mad buttercream rose skillz!!!

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for your replies, but I only use SMBC on my cakes, so although I appreciate your crusting buttercream experience, I was really hoping for someone that also uses SMBC or IMBC...

Although I am starting to think this is an awesome technique that really can only be done with crusting. icon_cry.gif Although there is a video from somewhere in Europe (Russia maybe? I can't tell but it's not English) where this gal is using this strange glossy paper made into a cone cut at an angle to not only pipe the most awesome looking roses onto a stick, she then cuts another cone out of this paper to make the leaves. Kinda makes me feel a little embarased about all my gadgets when this gal can bust out these roses super fast out of thin air.

But maybe I'm wrong and there is some tip out there to using SMBC? Anyone? Anyone? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%