Recommendation For Graphics/drawing Program?

Decorating By LisaR64 Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 3:26am by Texas_Rose

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:06am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone recommend a good graphics or drawing program that could be used to design 3-D & sculpted cakes?

I'm not really interested in the Wedding Cake Pro Software, but looking more for something that would allow me to design 3-D and sculpted cakes....preferably something under $200.

Anyone have hands-on experience with a good program you can recommend? Thanks!

7 replies
wildcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildcaker Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:26am
post #2 of 8

Photoshop Elements is probably your best option... it's essentially Photoshop "light" and runs under $100US. Full Photoshop is a LOT more, but you will probably find the Elements has everything you need (a lot of scrapbookers use Elements)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:37am
post #3 of 8

I use AutoCad with the 3D option for 3D designs, allows me to adjust the height and move tiers etc... pretty easily. I know that there are graphic programs that can do it also (i'm sure something in the photoshop series as they have so many different ones) But AutoCad is what i was familiar with allready and i haven't ventured into photoshop much.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:43am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I use AutoCad with the 3D option for 3D designs,...

Do you mean the one that cost about $4,000.00? Or is there a more reasonable version?

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:00am
post #5 of 8

I thought Photoshop was more for editing photos, not for drawing from scratch?

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:10am
post #6 of 8

Inkscape is a freeware graphics editor that you can download for free. Takes a little playing with to learn how to use it, but there is plenty of help available and tutorials to get you drawing just about anything you need to. And did I mention it is freeeeee!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:25am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I thought Photoshop was more for editing photos, not for drawing from scratch?

You're right. Adobe Photoshop works with pixels and it's more for photos. Adobe Illustrator (from the same company) is the one for drawing. But a lot of people know and use Photoshop Elements (the light version of Photoshop), while there's no "light" alternative for Illustrator.

I use both at my job, but they're pricey. If you're a student, or you have access to a "student", I think you can get them for a lower price. Once you do, however, if the software is upgraded to a newer version, you can't upgrade what you bought. You would have to buy it again.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:26am
post #8 of 8

Zbrush is a good 3D sculpting program...it's pretty expensive though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%