Chocolate Box Cake Instructions

Decorating By katiescakesaz Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 2:38am by icer101

katiescakesaz Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 3

Here are the instructions for the chocolate box cake!

Chocolate Box Cake Instructions

For this particular cake, I used a 6" square 3 layer cake. It doesn't matter whether you use 2 or 3 layers. Just as long as it is 4" tall. I frosted the cake with a thin layer of frosting (just like you would do prior to covering with fondant), then covered the cake with dried panels of gumpaste. Once the panels were up I covered the corners with gumpaste triangles.

Here's what I did:

At least 3 to 4 days ahead of time, roll out gumpaste panels 1/8" thick. Cut the panels to the size of the cake you are using. In this case I cut them 6" long and 5" high. Let the panels dry for a few days before assembling the cake.

When you are ready to assemble the cake, place the panels on the sides of the frosted cake and press them so they will stick. To cut the corners, I cut 6x5" panels again and then made the triangles by cutting the top corners off of the panel (go from the bottom corner to the middle of the panel). I hope that makes sense without a picture of what to do. Use shortening or water to stick these onto each corner of the cake, then work them a little to get a nice corner out of them.

If you are doing this with a tiered cake, assemble the tiers first, then put the panels on working from the top tier down. Fill the cake with whatever you like.
If you are making this a tiered cake, you want to make sure that there is a 4¡¨ difference in your tiers; for example, 6¡¨, 10¡¨ and 14¡¨ tiers. I¡¦m going to experiment with using chocolate fondant with a little tylose powder and see if it has enough structure to hold up. That way people can actually eat the sidesº
I learned this technique from Carrie Biggers during the CakeCruise in Alaska this past September.

2 replies
aej6 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:02am
post #2 of 3

How great of you to share this! Thank you so much!

icer101 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:38am
post #3 of 3

wrote it all down. thanks for all your time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%