Roses In Ri Or Bc?

Decorating By hrnewbie Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 1:37am by Unlimited

hrnewbie Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 2

I am working on one of my first cakes and am doing roses on the top. I can make the roses but had two questions in my attemps to get even better and know that those of you with WAY more experience than me will probably know the answers.

1) Do you find that roses come out better in RI than buttercream? I've seen quite a few people say they only use BC flowers on BC cakes and use RI on fondant covered cakes. My cake is iced in BC so I've been using BC for roses but am wondering if the RI would look better.

2) One lingering issue is that the edges of each petal seem to be a bit ragged. Is that due to the thickness of the BC? If you add a bit of corn syrup does that help? Or am I turning the pin too fast? I just can't seem to fix this one issue on my own.

Many thanks to each of you for your help and advice.

1 reply
Unlimited Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:37am
post #2 of 2

I make roses with BC and air dry them in advance. Nobody eats RI roses, so I'd only use them on a dummy cake. (I personally think they are harder to make with RI and wouldn't look as nice.)

You're correctyou're either turning your nail too fast or the BC is too stiff. I don't thin icing with anything other than water or add powdered sugar if it's too thin.

Good luck! Hope it works for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%