How Far In Advance Can I Bake And Decorate A Cake?

Decorating By Cake_Nurse Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 1:37pm by Cake_Nurse

Cake_Nurse Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:28am
post #1 of 3

My son's birthday party is Sunday, and he wants a Gronkle cake. I am very excited to make this cake, but the problem is I work third shift, 12 hours, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Could I make this cake on Wednesday/Thursday morning and it still look and taste good?

2 replies
zespri Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 9:09am
post #2 of 3

yes, in fact if your cake is sitting under fondant then it will get better and more moist over a few days. You could do it as far as seven days in advance, though less would be better icon_wink.gif If I were you I'd make the cakes, level and torte them. Then wrap and freeze them with boards inbetween. Then make your buttercream icing, and freeze that too. When you get it out of the freezer just whip it up a bit to refresh it. Make as much as you can in the early days then put it all together on Wednesday/thursday.

Cake_Nurse Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your help. I was really worried that I would have to stay up all day on Sunday before the party and not get any sleep because I would be decorating all morning. After working 3 12 hour shifts I would be a very cranky host with no sleep!

Quote by @%username% on %date%