Q For Home Bakers Esp. In Ontario Canada (Timeshare)

Business By kaat Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 8:47pm by kaat

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 6

Like many cakers I have been struggling to get my business legal. Im not quite busy enough to lease a shop, too busy to work from home AND I want to be legal (just dont have the room for a separate kitchen) I have been searching for a place that I can rent in my area to no avail. I hear similar stories on many threads here at CC. So I wondered

Would it be worth it to open a shared kitchen? A place that cakers, like myself would be able to rent in order to be legal and yet be affordable to those just starting out. So Im putting feelers out to see

If this was available in your area would you use it?

How far would you be willing to travel to use it?

And what would you be willing to pay to use it?

I know that these answers will vary depending on where you live and other things but Im just trying to get a feel if this is even plausible! I appreciate your input; positive or negative.
Thanks in advance!!

5 replies
kaat Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 6

bad idea???

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

I would be interested and would maybe travel up to 50km? I drive just over that to work every day. Obviously less is better. icon_wink.gif

http://www.friendlykitchen.ca/

I have a feeling you're taking up huge undertaking to do this. Looking at the above link about what they provided (they're closed now).

I also found this for you too.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/industry/bdb-start/firststeps.htm

I wish there were more places that allowed for rental of facilities. I am not at a point where I need a second kitchen, although would love on, on an ongoig basis, but if there were a place that once could rent once in a while that would be helpful.

kaat Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:24am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the links. I know the toronto kitchens have closed, the niagra one still seems to be running. So far zoning etc is fine. I know there is a lot to work out if I'm sharing the kitchen but my thought was to help share the cost of the kitchen.
Of course this is all still in the planning stages, just don't know if there are any other options. *sigh*

shalini1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 6

kaat, where are you located? The frustration of trying to find a kitchen and basically stress out over that has left me at a point where I don't even want to do this anymore. I enjoy decorating, I enjoy baking but there are so many legal hoops to jump! It's so depressing :S

kaat Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

I'm in Markham. I feel exactly the same way! It's so frustrating - And I know so many people in the same boat (but too spread out to work together!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%