How To Price Cupcakes...?

Baking By ConfectionsCC Updated 1 Aug 2017 , 9:53pm by hannahsweet

amyswtcks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyswtcks Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:05pm
post #31 of 63

Actually jennicake, I think $3.75 for a store bought cupcake is pretty reasonable! I was referring more towards the places that charge $7,$8 a cupcake. Of course there is so much time that goes into making them that I can definitely see why people want to charge more. Sometimes the work is just so time consuming!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 1:05am
post #32 of 63

A

Original message sent by amyswtcks

Actually jennicake, I think $3.75 for a store bought cupcake is pretty reasonable! I was referring more towards the places that charge $7,$8 a cupcake. Of course there is so much time that goes into making them that I can definitely see why people want to charge more. Sometimes the work is just so time consuming!

Oh wow lol. I live in a city that doesn't have $8 or $9 cupcakes so I've never been exposed to one. I see your point though! I would love to see what one of those cupcakes looks like though

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 1:30am
post #33 of 63

yeah...a top priced CC in my area would be the $4 price range. And store bought cupcakes cost about $1 each if you buy them by the dozen

amyswtcks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyswtcks Posted 6 Aug 2013 , 8:28pm
post #34 of 63

Yeah, we're prima donnas here in California! LOL

kirabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirabee Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:34am
post #35 of 63

AOkay... I joined this because I have the feat of a lifetime coming.

Recently I started making cupcakes because its something I love to do. I have done key lime pie, fruit filled, rumchata, ill try anything on demand! But I just got asked to do a 4 tiered cake and 120 cupcakes and have no idea what to charge.

They will be marble cupcakes with basic buttercream and then the cake will have alternating layers of chocolate and vanilla with basic buttercream. (They are a simple couple) the bride is providing the flowers for cake decoration and the stands for the cupcakes...the rest is up to me...including the pans..which I do not currently own. This will be my first huge cake... I'm a cupcake girl! (I'm a tad panicked, but excited)

Beyond all else I do not know what to charge because to me it seems so simple, but I know there is a lot there to be making. Typically for 24 cupcakes it runs about 30-40 depending on if it requires anything special like the rumchata cupcakes did. I know that is pretty low, but I'm currently located in havre mt, and these people do not value divine desserts like they do in the larger cities in Montana... So I'm at odds. I don't want to charge too much but don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions?

kirabee Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:34am
post #36 of 63

AOkay... I joined this because I have the feat of a lifetime coming.

Recently I started making cupcakes because its something I love to do. I have done key lime pie, fruit filled, rumchata, ill try anything on demand! But I just got asked to do a 4 tiered cake and 120 cupcakes and have no idea what to charge.

They will be marble cupcakes with basic buttercream and then the cake will have alternating layers of chocolate and vanilla with basic buttercream. (They are a simple couple) the bride is providing the flowers for cake decoration and the stands for the cupcakes...the rest is up to me...including the pans..which I do not currently own. This will be my first huge cake... I'm a cupcake girl! (I'm a tad panicked, but excited)

Beyond all else I do not know what to charge because to me it seems so simple, but I know there is a lot there to be making. Typically for 24 cupcakes it runs about 30-40 depending on if it requires anything special like the rumchata cupcakes did. I know that is pretty low, but I'm currently located in havre mt, and these people do not value divine desserts like they do in the larger cities in Montana... So I'm at odds. I don't want to charge too much but don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions?

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 6:48am
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

When thinking about the price you are going to charge for your cupcakes and feeling like $x might be too much because it is "just a simple cupcake" there is a point that you are missing. Someone contacted you to make these simple cupcakes because they lack either the time or the know-how to do it themselves. That is what they are paying you for. Your time is not less valuable than theirs is, and your skill didn't just fall into your hands by accident. Have confidence in what you are doing. If you undervalue your work so will everyone else.

Yes!! I feel like hi-fiving you for saying this! I don't sell cakes (yet - I'm building my skills and planning for my business so I know what I can offer, what I'll charge etc and hopefully my business will be solid!) - BUT I do know how many of my friends and family don't really bake, or if they do bake, they wouldn't have the slightest clue how to make beautiful BC, which tips are good for swirls, how to make fondant decos...etc, etc. 

People approach a cake business because you can do something they cannot. I think when you're a baker, a GOOD baker, you start to think of things like cupcakes as 'easy' and fall into the trap of thinking they're not worth much. But I'm reminded time and time again when I put a plate of pretty cupcakes in front of my friends and family how impressive they are to others. People WILL pay for the service you offer. I say MINIMUM of $3.00 for a basic BC swirl cuppie and prices go up from there. 

Value yourselves and your skill bakers!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 10:43am
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirabee 

I don't want to charge too much but don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions? Yes!

Welcome to the forums! This topic has been discussed extensively. Use the search box and type in "how to price cakes" or "jason_kraft pricing cakes" and learn for yourself how to do the math. The cakers on here get asked this question multiple times a day and are getting weary of it, so be a good CC member and start by looking through the numerous threads. 

Also make sure you are compliant with food safety laws in your area, some states require a license and/or an inspection before you can sell food to the public.

Good luck with your business! 

kirabee Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 2:56pm
post #39 of 63

ALuckily I'm not starting a business and its more doing it for a friend because I have a crafty cook hand.

Jrzygrl34 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jrzygrl34 Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:37pm
post #40 of 63

I usually charge $22-24 / dozen (This covers the cost of making the cupcakes and the packaging)...$26 if they're filled. (2 dozen min)
Another $5 bucks if they have to be delivered outside of 5-10 miles of where I'm based. Clients can forgo the delivery charge if they pick them up themselves....
They're packaged professionally in the clear Plastic cupcake containers (they're sturdier and look better to me)  that hold 12 or 24 individually.
I don't use the Cake boxes with inserts unless I don't have enough Plastic cupcake containers. 
 If clients wants intricate designs or fondant accent, then its the same cost as the filled, $26/dozen

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Aug 2013 , 3:42pm
post #41 of 63

A

Original message sent by Jrzygrl34

I usually charge $22-24 / dozen (This covers the cost of making the cupcakes and the packaging)...$26 if they're filled. (2 dozen min)

Another $5 bucks if they have to be delivered outside of 5-10 miles of where I'm based. Clients can forgo the delivery charge if they pick them up themselves....

They're packaged professionally in the clear Plastic cupcake containers (they're sturdier and look better to me)  that hold 12 or 24 individually.

I don't use the Cake boxes with inserts unless I don't have enough Plastic cupcake containers. 

If clients wants intricate designs or fondant accent, then its the same cost as the filled, $26/dozen

Just an FYI...an increase in price of 33 cents per cupcake for intricate designs or fondant accents corresponds to 80 extra seconds of labor (at a rate of $15/hour).

thebakerybar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebakerybar Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 4:20am
post #42 of 63

I charge 2.75 for mine and anything custom is $3.00 and up

ms cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ms cakes Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 4:45pm
post #43 of 63

How would yall price 400 cupcakes? i have been asked to do 100 Lemon w/ Yellow icing / 100 Strawberry w/ Reddish icing / 100 White w/Orange icing  and 100 Choc with brown icing. I was thinking of dec the top with cand corn / fall colored sprinkles / hersey kisses / pumpkin candy corn. It will be butter creme icing. i am not a pro and only do this on the side but i have no idea what to charge? i was thinking a $1.00 per cup cake. Any suggestions?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 Sep 2013 , 5:57pm
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms cakes 

How would yall price 400 cupcakes? i have been asked to do 100 Lemon w/ Yellow icing / 100 Strawberry w/ Reddish icing / 100 White w/Orange icing  and 100 Choc with brown icing. I was thinking of dec the top with cand corn / fall colored sprinkles / hersey kisses / pumpkin candy corn. It will be butter creme icing. i am not a pro and only do this on the side but i have no idea what to charge? i was thinking a $1.00 per cup cake. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Welcome to the forums! This topic has been discussed extensively. Use the search box and type in "how to price cakes" or "jason_kraft pricing cakes" and learn for yourself how to do the math. The cakers on here get asked this question multiple times a day and are getting weary of it, so be a good CC member and start by looking through the numerous threads. 

Also make sure you are compliant with food safety laws in your area, some states require a license and/or an inspection before you can sell food to the public.

Good luck with your business! 

Greetings ms cakes, there's lots of info throughout this thread. Have you read any of it? 

CassidysCakesAn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassidysCakesAn Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 4:17pm
post #45 of 63

AHi, is it okay to ask for someone's budget? I feel it is kind of tacky, but I hate to waste my time and their's if we are simply too far apart. I had a lady contact me for 50 cupcakes for 30 people. I told her I sell by the dozen and if they were having other food I thought 3 dozen would be enough. She messaged me back saying she wants 4 dozen filled. 1 white with IMBC, 1 chocolate with whipped chocolate ganache, 1 strawberry and 1 red velvet both with cream cheese frosting. I bake from scratch as a cottage baker (which people in my area think that I should be cheaper because of this). I charge $1.50/basic cupcake with American buttercream or Hershy's chocolate frosting (on the back of the cocoa container). I charge .25/cupcake for filling and .25/cupcake for all other frostings. Should i charge extra for the Italian buttercream? Do you think this is too much? I live in a small town in Ms., but only sell to other AF people on the base. These prices reflect my cake prices/Wilton party size serving.

jason_kraft Posted 24 Oct 2013 , 4:21pm
post #46 of 63

A

Original message sent by CassidysCakesAn

Hi, is it okay to ask for someone's budget? I feel it is kind of tacky, but I hate to waste my time and their's if we are simply too far apart. I had a lady contact me for 50 cupcakes for 30 people. I told her I sell by the dozen and if they were having other food I thought 3 dozen would be enough. She messaged me back saying she wants 4 dozen filled. 1 white with IMBC, 1 chocolate with whipped chocolate ganache, 1 strawberry and 1 red velvet both with cream cheese frosting. I bake from scratch as a cottage baker (which people in my area think that I should be cheaper because of this). I charge $1.50/basic cupcake with American buttercream or Hershy's chocolate frosting (on the back of the cocoa container). I charge .25/cupcake for filling and .24/cupcake for all other frostings. Should i charge extra for the Italian buttercream? Do you think this is too much? I live in a small town in Ms., but only sell to other AF people on the base. These prices reflect my cake prices/Wilton party size serving.

Asking for a customer's budget is fine, and should be done as early as possible to avoid wasted time.

Regarding pricing, be sure to account for your ingredients, labor, overhead, and profit margin. Check out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below for more info.

CassidysCakesAn Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:55pm
post #47 of 63

AThanks, I already have figured out my costs and profit. I would like to charge more, but I am already more expensive than the other cottage bakers in my area. I told her it would be $110 for the cupcakes.

CassidysCakesAn Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:59pm
post #48 of 63

AI also, just figured out a per serving price since I am still new (I just started decorating in June) and some things that would take an experienced decorator no time take me forever. I am mainly using this time to gain experience and skill so that when my husband gets out of the military next year I will be more comfortable charging more money.

lafoutloud05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lafoutloud05 Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:11pm
post #49 of 63

I'm wondering how much to charge for the more decorative cupcakes. My work (I work at a restaurant) has been offering my cupcakes to party reservations. Most recently I got an order for 2 dozen. I hate being asked on the spot how much I charge so I'm trying to put together a sort of pricing menu that they can hand out. I charged $24 a dozen for the high heels, but I think I under charged. Sometimes the decorations take me a long time, and I want to pay myself a fair hourly rate. 

Here's one example of cupcakes I did (the wiggles). These were 2 dozen and I only charged $40. The detail took me quite a while. This Santa I have also gotten a lot of requests for lately (it's made of 50 cupcakes) and I've been thinking $75 for regular cupcakes and $45 for minis. What do you think?

Thanks for your help everyone!

jason_kraft Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:16pm
post #50 of 63

A

Original message sent by lafoutloud05

Here's one example of cupcakes I did (the wiggles). These were 2 dozen and I only charged $40. The detail took me quite a while. This Santa I have also gotten a lot of requests for lately (it's made of 50 cupcakes) and I've been thinking $75 for regular cupcakes and $45 for minis. What do you think?

How long did it take you to make the Wiggles cupcakes? How long do you think it will take you to make the Santa cake? What are your ingredient costs and allocated overhead? What does market research tell you about the market value of these products in your area? Are you talking about selling these on your own or through the restaurant?

Note that the Wiggles characters are copyrighted so you would need permission from the copyright owner in order to copy their likenesses.

lafoutloud05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lafoutloud05 Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 8:35pm
post #51 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

How long did it take you to make the Wiggles cupcakes? How long do you think it will take you to make the Santa cake? What are your ingredient costs and allocated overhead? What does market research tell you about the market value of these products in your area? Are you talking about selling these on your own or through the restaurant?

Note that the Wiggles characters are copyrighted so you would need permission from the copyright owner in order to copy their likenesses.

Good to know about the Wiggles. I actually didn't even think of that. Luckily it was for a family friend. Anyway, I'm not really selling them through the restaurant. For parties they usually end up getting a sheet cake from Shoprite so now instead they are offering my company's cupcakes. I do bake them there though for health code reasons since it is illegal in NJ to bake from home, but they do not ask for any profit from the cupcakes sold. The wiggles took about 4 hours and the Santa 2 hours. I live near NYC so people are selling regular cupcakes on average $3 per cupcake if not more. I can't seem to find any place around here that sells decorative cupcakes to see their prices. Aside from NY which is about 40 minutes away there is not many cupcake businesses around me. Ingredients are about $10-$15. I save on fondant because I make my own. I would like to make at least $10 an hour.   

jason_kraft Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 9:18pm
post #52 of 63

A

Original message sent by lafoutloud05

For parties they usually end up getting a sheet cake from Shoprite so now instead they are offering my company's cupcakes. I do bake them there though for health code reasons since it is illegal in NJ to bake from home, but they do not ask for any profit from the cupcakes sold. The wiggles took about 4 hours and the Santa 2 hours.

Being able to use a commercial kitchen rent-free is a pretty sweet deal, but it doesn't reflect market conditions and you may want to price as if you were paying market rate for a kitchen rental. If your ingredients are $15 for both orders, allocated overhead (insurance, inspection fees, license fees, etc. on a per-order basis) is $20, and market rate for a kitchen rental is $15/hour, your cost for the Wiggles cupcakes would be $95 and $65 for the santa cake. At $10 an hour with zero profit you are looking at a floor of $135 and $85 respectively. Add a 20% markup and you're at ~$160 and ~$100.

You may need to dig a little deeper with the market research and look for bakeries in suburban NYC with a similar demographic makeup to your local area, even if they are further away.

snotlocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snotlocker Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 8:24pm
post #53 of 63

Ahas anyone tried the cake boss system? it's suppost to help you figure out your pricing and cost. I was thinking about purchasing it but I was wondering if anyone has used it.:)

bakingk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingk8 Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 12:30pm
post #54 of 63

I'm based in the UK so not sure if this will help but I also find location is a big part too. I live somewhere quite small where I'm lucky to get more than £2.00 per cupcake but down in London people will pay a lot more. I agree with Scarlet cupcake you have to take a lot into consideration beyond the basic ingredients. 

Luv2_bake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv2_bake09 Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 11:45am
post #55 of 63

I have a huge problem. A family member just asked me to make them 50 cupcakes for a bridal shower. They want me to pick the flavor and design. When it comes to flavor I'll stick to the standard flavored like white, yellow... Etc but for the design In my head, im not sure how to charge. I was thinking a small fondant rose with chocolate pearls around and another design would be a dove with a fondant heart saying things like "love, mrs, soon to be".... Idk how to charge cupcakes, I usually just charge 20.00 for 12 cupcakes but that's the standard icing. But this is a big order with more advanced technique... How do I charge?.... I'm also afraid they'll not want to work with me because of the price. P.s- The fondant I have to order online because of the color... And some other materials ( idk if that helps)

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 4:21pm
post #56 of 63

@Luv2_bake09   So who is doing who a favor?  Family is very tricky no matter what.  If you're trying to actually start a business you need to charge what a bakery would charge with no apologies.  If you just want to be compensated for your materials add it up and give them the bill.  They are asking you because they figure it will be cheaper.  Selling to family is not a great way to build a business. 

Luv2_bake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv2_bake09 Posted 1 Aug 2015 , 4:46pm
post #57 of 63

@Pastrybaglady , yes you are right. Before I even considered charging for anything, I used to do fondant cakes for my little cousin for free...(8in double layer, center filled, iced and covered, with decorations..... For free)....I'm starting to take my craft seriously and now my cousin has 2 more children left with birthdays and she's looking for a free cake....NO CAN DO!.  I've been doing research and I see people charge 2.00, 2.50, 3, or even 4.00 for a cupcake. With the design that I'm doing I'm pretty sure it's in the range of 3. 00 per cupcake. I have my little sister as an assistant. 50cupcakes*3.00 a piece is 150.00. They gon look at me like I'm crazy. But I guess it's true about the saying "you get what you paid for". I'll probably ask her what is her price range for the cupcakes and go from there. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 8:08am
post #58 of 63

@Luv2_bake09  That's a good way to approach it. Let them tell you how much they're willing to spend and then you tell them what you're willing to do for that amount as in for $1 per cupcake - not much!

fifa067 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fifa067 Posted 2 Aug 2015 , 8:22am
post #59 of 63
Thank you for sharing

Normafca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normafca Posted 11 Jan 2017 , 7:17pm
post #60 of 63

All of the info here is amazing and I relized I am not the only person concerned about my prices. My question is should my basic price go up if I am making lets say a baby stroller shape or a wedding dress with all the cupacakes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%