How Do You Handle No-Shows For Tastings?

Business By kristanashley Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 3:50pm by indydebi

kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #1 of 11

I had my first no-show today for a tasting, and I'm wondering how to handle it. I called to remind her yesterday, and I didn't get any call or email saying she wouldn't be there. It's annoying... My question is, how do you follow up with no-shows?

10 replies
jenmat Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:22am
post #2 of 11

You don't. If they're that rude, then you don't want them as a customer anyway.
Its gonna happen, so you just deal with it, chalk it up to a rude customer and then move on.
Stinks though- I've only had it happen once and boy was I mad!

pugmama1 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:33am
post #3 of 11

I suppose there could have been some huge emergency but probably not. It happened to me and after agonizing over what to do I finally decided to tell the bride I could not do her cake. After that, I felt great knowing I wouldn't have to deal with someone who didn't value my time and expense.

cakelady2266 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:37am
post #4 of 11

It seems to be the latest fad...request 3 or 10 different flavors to taste and just not show. I have started waiting until they get to my shop to even ice the sample cakes.

Mac Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:49am
post #5 of 11

I only sample 3 popular wedding cake flavors. I had one not show after she called me to confirm that we were meeting. I called her twice...no answer. When she called me later that night to tell me that "something came up"...I asked why she didn't call me. Her answer was that she didn't have my number. I reminded her that she called me earlier to confirm. She said (very indignantly) "Well, maybe I better find someone else to do my wedding cake!" I told her "Yes, I think maybe you should."

pmarks0 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:28am
post #6 of 11

I'm not doing wedding cakes yet, but perhaps charge for tastings and then apply the tasting charge when they book with you. They would need to pay for the tasting in advance (after all you have ingredients to pay for) either by credit card, paypal or cash (or whatever your acepted method of payment is). That may limit the number of no shows. But if you do have one, at least you've recouped for your time and materials.

indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:58am
post #7 of 11

On my rare no-shows, I would send one email that said simply, "Sorry you missed your sampling appointment yesterday. Let me know when you want to re-schedule."

that's it. nothing else. I consider it a closed file until she calls back.

On the front end, here is the exerpt from my confirmation email that I would send to them. Along with the rest of the wording in the email, I make it very clear its a business appt and I'm not sitting around for hours waiting on them. Like their doctor's office, they have a 15 minute window.

This is to confirm your sampling appointment at --------------------. Directions are attached. If you run late due to traffic or other circumstances, we ask that you just give us a call to let us know that youre on your way. (At 15 minutes past the appt, with no phone-call, I consider it a no-show and I pack up and go home.)

andrea7 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 11

I make all couples prepay $20.00 before they can have a tasting. Only one person has challenged the fee. I only want to deal with serious buyers and it has weeded out the riff raff. I just tell them it's an industry standard.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 11

I prepared for my first tasting and it was a no show. I was upset of course especially since I had made decorated mini cakes for them and went out and bought a nice plate for presentation, etc. Well needless to say I changed everything and now I charge for a tasting but it will be applied to the balance of your cake if they book but now I haven't have anyone book a tasting. Oh well.

kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 11

I think I'm going to be nice and give her the benefit of a doubt and ask her if she would like to re-schedule. I honestly still want to do her cake. icon_smile.gif But I will definitely send out confirmation emails as well as phone calls in the future, and make my wording convey "serious business meeting." Although, the industry standard where I'm located is that tastings are free, so I don't feel comfortable asking for money.

indydebi Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristanashley

But I will definitely send out confirmation emails as well as phone calls in the future, and make my wording convey "serious business meeting."

If interested, below is my confirmation email that I used, in its entirety. I rarely had no-shows and practically ALWAYS had a phone call to confirm "We're on our way!", even if they werent' late! icon_lol.gif The "directions attached" was a pre-written Word document of how to get there, no matter which direction they were coming from. Write it once ... attach it often!

This is to confirm your sampling appointment at --------------------. Directions are attached. If you run late due to traffic or other circumstances, we ask that you just give us a call to let us know that youre on your way. (At 15 minutes past the appt, with no phone-call, I consider it a no-show and I pack up and go home.)

You are welcome to bring up to a total of four people (seating limitations).
Since this appointment can be lengthy, we dont recommend bringing children as a catering facility is not a very entertaining place for them to try to sit quietly while mom/dad conduct a business meeting.
You should plan about an hour for this appointment.
We understand that you have a million and one decisions to make and we try to keep it simple for you by offering a no-pressure sampling. My assumption is that you are information gathering, so I do not expect a decision, a commitment or a check on that day.
I DO expect you to walk away with some good information that helps you make an informed decision as you compare Cater It Simple with other caterers in the area.
If you have some photos of cakes youve seen that you like, please bring those with you.
If you have a specific color you want used in your cake design, please bring a color swatch that you can leave with us (a scrap of material, ribbon, or one bride even brought us a paint card from the hardware stores paint dept!! )

Please help us keep our samplings free. We are not a restaurant where we can just go back into the kitchen and scoop out a sample of whatever dishes are cooking. The foods and cakes for your sampling are prepared just for you and there is a cost to that. When couples cancel at the last minute or are no-shows, this affects our expenses in running a business. We understand that sometimes things come up and appointments need rescheduled . We just ask that you let us know when that happens so we will not prepare the foods for you and/or we can go ahead and schedule another couple in your time slot. We will happily re-schedule your appointment for you. Your consideration is appreciated by us and by our future brides!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%