Top Tier Of Cupcake Stand (Cake)

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 11:42am by LisaPeps

DeezTreatz Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 5

Hello!

I just got an order for cupcakes for a wedding and the top tier is to be a cake.

I've looked up clear stands to buy in my area and have only found the 7 tier to hold the amount of cupcakes she wants.
However the top tier is 5" (Which will be a cake)- so I am going to go ahead and assume I have to make a 5" round cake? Right? lol

I didn't charge for the stand - which is $119 - it's my first time doing this type of design. How would I charge for the stand???

I hope this is in the right forum - icon_smile.gif

TIA

4 replies
sweetooth0510 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:12am
post #2 of 5

You can either make a 5" for the top or a 6" which will overlap slightly - 5" would probably be better.

I wouldn't charge the bride for the cost of the stand as it is really a business expense that shouldn't be passed on to the client. What I would do instead is build a $$ into the overall price which is itemised as 'cake stand hireage'. You will only need to do a few of these weddings before you recoup your purchase price.

Make sure you are very clear to your client that you need the stand returned in original condition within 24hours of the event, I would even charge a refundable bond. Sometimes these stands are a bit flimsy and people don't give them any respect.

DeezTreatz Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:19am
post #3 of 5

Very good idea - maybe I will charge a deposit for the stand - and give it back once it is returned within 24 hours icon_smile.gif

Thank you very much!

scp1127 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:06am
post #4 of 5

I add a rental price instead of putting it in the cupcake charge. To me it is clearer if they are comparing more than one baker. The deposit wording should cover loss and damage.

LisaPeps Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:42am
post #5 of 5

Charge a rental fee and a refundable deposit. Refundable deposit needs to cover the cost of replacing the stand should you need to. Give them a time frame to bring it back. Disclose whether it should be clean or not (the stand linked below was filthy when I got it back, but it was for a friends wedding so not an issue for me), make sure you double and triple check for scratches. Determine whether you will keep a percentage of the deposit dependant on any damage.

My cake in this picture had an 11" board which sat on the 10" disc of the stand, so long as you have a sturdy board the overhang is not an issue.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1875575

If you wanted to do a bigger cake you could remove the top 1 or 2 plates and have the remaining cupcakes around the table.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%