Ribbons- Are They Food Safe??

Decorating By VanillaCoke Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 3:09am by VanillaCoke

VanillaCoke Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:26am
post #1 of 4

I got an email from a bride today who wants ribbon wrapped around her tiers- she asked me if she needs to buy food-safe ribbon. I've been making wedding cakes for 7 years, and I have to admit it's never once occurred to me to question the use of ribbon on a cake. I could tell her not to let her guests eat the ribbon icon_razz.gif .... anyone ever thought about this? Know anything? I could try to upsell her into fondant ribbon icon_wink.gif

3 replies
artscallion Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 4

though you see them on cakes all the time, in general ribbons are not food safe. Though you can find a few specifically made for cakes food safe ones online. Lots of folks will adhere a strip of waxed paper to the back of the ribbon so the colors won't bleed onto the cake and the grease from the icing will not spot the ribbon.

The thing that bothers me worse than ribbon though is feathers. I see them on cakes all the time and they skeeve me out. I would never eat a cake that had feathers on or near it. Ribbon, doesn't bother me so much.

GenGen Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #3 of 4

i agree artscallion. i dont care for the feathers or those fluffy boa things. ribbons seem ok

VanillaCoke Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:09am
post #4 of 4

ITA- my son has a bird and he is not exactly hygienic. Disgusting!

Quote by @%username% on %date%