Need Help/advice Concerning My Cricut *please & Thank Yo

Decorating By lolobell Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 3:07am by tiggy2

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:23am
post #1 of 39

Hi!
I'm sure this has been covered some place on CC before...but so help me, I can't find what I'm looking for... SOOO,

I'm about to try my new mini Cricut for the first time. I have Duff's Fondant in the house as well as a small bit of Satin Ice. I generally use MMF but have not made any yet...

Can I use Duff's Fondant with this machine? If so....should i chill it first once it's spread out on the mat? can i use MMF?

I would love to avoid gum paste due to taste issues and i would also love to avoid buying those costly icing sheets...so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance
MAR

38 replies
JPMitchell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPMitchell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:32am
post #2 of 39

I have tried MMF on my cricut, with poor results... It doesn't cut very well I do have duffs fondant, however i haven't tried it on the cricut... One thing I haven't tried is to freeze it, the mmf, and then try to cut it. What I find is that it just doesn't cut well, like it doesn't seem like the cutter is sharp enough so it pulls. I tried shortening, as well as a tad of water on the mat to keep the MMF from moving but I have yet to get it to work well. I can only guess that duffs fondant will maybe do a little better because it is softer.. but I would try duffs or satin ice and freeze it till it is slightly stiff and then try.

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:36am
post #3 of 39

i was thinking MMF would be sticky too...i enjoy using it but am so anxious to try my cricut but have no desire to spend all that $$ on icing sheets..that when i watched the in store demo...the poor nice lady couldn't get ONE single icing sheet to work!!!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:36am
post #4 of 39

hi Mar
I unfortunately i dont know if you can use the regular fondant but i can tell you that I usually use fondant with tylose, roll it out and let it dry for a bit then i put it in the freezer for a few mints (about 10-15) I have done the same with gum paste and also with fondant and gum paste together. today i tried just fondant and my cricut made a mess of it. i dont know if i just didnt wait enough or if i messed up somewhere but i dont think ill just do fondant anymore

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #5 of 39

I used Duff's in my Cricut Cake the other day and it worked fine. I am fairly new to Cricut as well. I rolled it out on the mat (after greasing it a bit) so it adhered to it well. Then I just let it sit out on the counter for about an hour, I was busy working on multiple projects. Some put it in the fridge or freezer to hasten the setting up of the fondant. I cut out branches, hearts and some lettering all without a problem. I don't think there is really cut and dry method, you just have to fool around and see what works for you! Good luck!

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:44am
post #6 of 39

it does seem rather like a trial by error system..

on the cartridge box it states, "gum paste, fondant, frosting sheets and more" so i was hoping to have luck..

i think trying tylose is a great idea...
i will give it a go!

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:45am
post #7 of 39

and thank you all very much for the help!!! keep any advice coming!!!

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:58am
post #8 of 39

Try Linda McClure's gumpaste recipe. It does not taste bad and has made cutting on the cricut so nice. I made sheets of it up and freeze then when I want to use it, grease cricut mat roll it on, and happy dance!! I tried a mascot for my purse cake, didn't think there was anyway it would cut that small of a pattern. Did great

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamacres

Try Linda McClure's gumpaste recipe. It does not taste bad and has made cutting on the so nice. I made sheets of it up and freeze then when I want to use it, grease mat roll it on, and happy dance!! I tried a mascot for my purse cake, didn't think there was anyway it would cut that small of a pattern. Did great

That's exactly what I do and it works like a charm. However, I buy the cheap cutting mats at the $ store to freeze it on or dry it on so my cutting mats aren't tied up. I've also had great success with adding tylose to Wilton fondant and letting it dry for and hour or so on a greased mat covered with plastic wrap.

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:27am
post #10 of 39

where would i find Linda's recipe for her gumpaste? I'm willing to try it all!!

and, i didn't know i could have cutting mats at the $ store. wow! what are they called so I know exactly what I am looking for?

I'm about to attempt the duff/tylose mix.....crossing fingers!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

dreamacres Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:41am
post #11 of 39

check out youtube for her recipe and instructions. I store in freezer on the cheap mats and then transfer to my cricut mat for cutting. Is that what you do?? I think the OP might be thinking to cut on the chef mats

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:49am
post #12 of 39

Duff fondant is fondarific which will take a little longer to dry even with tylose. It's all in the practice, and finding which technique will work best for you. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to cut most anything. You might want to check out this very long thread, it has some great advise! icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678490-success.html+circut

tiggy2 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:51am
post #13 of 39

The mats at the $ store are the flexiible cutting mats like this http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=119545 I think they are about $1 ea

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:54am
post #14 of 39

many thanks....going to spend some time looking over that thread. i didn't get a chance to try it out like anticipated tonight because my little one woke up and i just got her back down..

tomorrow i will give it a go!!!

hope i can get it to work to my advantage soon! i have several cakes coming up that i would like to use it for! why do i get so excited and nervous at the same time when i try something new?!?!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:24pm
post #15 of 39

hello! i haven't had the best results with mmf (it works well when frozen, but i hate to wait lol). satin ice has worked well, but my absolute favorite thing to use is nicholas lodge's gumpaste recipe (http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-recipes.htm). it rolls out thin and cutes perfect eve rytime! i've never tried linda mcclure's recipe so i can't compare though. i love my cricut cake, like someone said just find what works for you and run with it! its an incredible machine icon_biggrin.gif

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:39pm
post #16 of 39

Hi does anyone have Linda's gum paste recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing. I have her videos but I bought them after she started selling gum paste and they didn't come with the recipe !! so now I have no recipe. please share someone. Thanks

tiggy2 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #17 of 39

Check her website and blog, I think it's on one of them but I don't remember which one.

dreamacres Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 39

get youtube recipe and instructions

gabby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabby2 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 6:18pm
post #19 of 39

I am looking into get one of these machines but I would like to use it for both cake and paper but I don't want to buy both machines. Can I buy one machine then buy the cutters and mats for the cake stuff and use it both ways.. Thanks for any help. icon_biggrin.gif

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 39

okay! first attempt today went as follows:

tried using Duff's White...first cut with non-frozen fondant went pretty good, second gummed up the machine. decided to re-roll with Tylose and freeze for 15 mins. It cut really well after that.

i have no idea yet if using a colored fondant of any brand/kind will be harder to use because they tend to be a bit more soft and gummy...however, i'm not as nervous to try it now that I got a few successful cuts!!!
couldn't have done it without the help of all of you..so many thanks again.

Now, question about the $1 store flexible mats some of you use... i take it you cut it to size? i have the MINI so i know those would be much too big for my machine.

icon_smile.gif Mar

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #21 of 39

forgot to ask my other question! the mat now has impressions of what i cut...does this mean i had the pressure to high or used the wrong setting? and if so, can i use the mat again anyways or did i ruin it!?!?! yikes! icon_confused.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:44pm
post #22 of 39

I usually use medium pressure and medium speed, but you are going to get cuts in you mats no matter what. I forget how many cuts they say you can do before have to replace your mat. I have 6 that I rotate, but I let my fondant dry on the mat before I cut, so 6 work out well for me. icon_smile.gif

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:49pm
post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

The mats at the $ store are the flexiible cutting mats like this http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=119545 I think they are about $1 ea

I didn't know you can use those mats for cricut....yeah!!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:55pm
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I usually use medium pressure and medium speed, but you are going to get cuts in you mats no matter what. I forget how many cuts they say you can do before have to replace your mat. I have 6 that I rotate, but I let my fondant dry on the mat before I cut, so 6 work out well for me. icon_smile.gif

so you mean even the mats that are made for cricut cake get cut too?

tiggy2 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:04pm
post #25 of 39

yep, they sure do

KAMI_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KAMI_Cakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:33pm
post #26 of 39

I have bought plenty of the $ mats and cut them to size to fit in the cricut. The dimensions will not be 12x12, but more like 12x10. My partner actually ruined my very first cricut cutting mat by putting it in the washing machine. Let's say, it pretty much melted. So instead of spending the money on a new mat, I bought the $ cutting mats instead. It works so well I have over a dozen mats now. (which is cheaper than buying 1 replacement cricut mat) No need to transfer the rolled out fondant to the actual cricut mat. Only thing is, you don't have the grid margins.

Also, I would suggest getting the Make The Cut software. I think it's on sale right now for $55. Normally $79. I've been able to cut any design, font or pattern I need. No need to buy all these expensive memory cards from Cricut.

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:48pm
post #27 of 39

i am soo thrilled to hear that about the mats....! i was just shopping online the other day for a spare since i only have the one (6x12 cuz i have the mini) and they were $12 for ONE! geez louise!

as for the software...i am beyond confused on that. it seems that there are several out there and i really am not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to anything "computer".... SO, is it as simple as buying the program? and then what??..i find an image online and i can download then plug my cricut to the computer somehow and it cuts it!? don't laugh if that sounds terribly incorrect...i told you..not real bright with computers!!!! LOL icon_smile.gificon_redface.gif

tiggy2 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:32pm
post #28 of 39

You do have to learn how to use the software but it isn't that hard. Linda teaches a class on it.

lolobell Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:30pm
post #29 of 39

do you feel it's been worth it? to get the software? my husband is already cringing at another investment towards cakes!!!!!!

tiggy2 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 11:54pm
post #30 of 39

I use it all the time. Makes welding text a snap. Not to mention the money it saves on cartridges and I can make any logo I want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%