What Makes A Crusting Bc Crust?

Baking By Scarlets-Cakes Updated 31 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm by TexasSugar

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 6

I use butter, shortening, vanilla, heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar. It crusts very nicely. But I don't like a crust on my cupcakes. Can someone give me a good recipe for NON-crusting BC?

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

The cooked icings like the SMBC and IMBC do not crust, so that may be something to look at.

There are a few recipes using powder sugar that don't crust. One is the Whimsical Bakehouse's recipe, but it has a huge amount of fat in it.

If you want your icing to crust less you can always up the fat (butter/shortening) in the recipe. It will take a lot for it not to crust, but a softer crust might work for ya.

LisaR64 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:24am
post #3 of 6

I agree with TexasSugar, more fat or less sugar. You may want to eliminate the whipping cream also. I was having the opposite problem, mine wasn't crusting and I wanted it to. Someone suggested upping the amount of sugar and adding whipped cream and that worked great, my icing crusts perfectly now.

indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 6

The above two are correct .. its the ratio of sugar to fat that causes it.

More sugar ... more crusting.

I always remember it because more sugar makes it thicker or (stiffer) and stiff or crusted icing will hold its shape.

Scarlets-Cakes Posted 29 Jan 2011 , 12:11am
post #5 of 6

Thank you, everyone. I'm going to try some SMBC right now and see if that's what I'm trying to get for my cupcakes. Then I'll play around with my fat/sugar ratio on my american bc and see if that makes a difference.

TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 6

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%