Wedding Cake

Lounge By TheBakingNurse Updated 27 Jan 2011 , 6:57pm by indydebi

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 4

So I just got asked to do a wedding cake. The client said she has sent out 600 invitations but not really expecting all to show. I am not sure 1st of all how much cake I would need to make and 2ndly how much to charge? Any suggestions?

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:34am
post #2 of 4

As for how much cake to make.... as much as she orders. However you can suggest 60% of the people invited. This number has been brought up many times by Indydebi, and is pretty accurate

As for pricing. You'll need to figure up your cost for your recipes, equipment, overheads, labor etc.... Here is another pricing topic that TexasSugar goes into great detail all in one thread (so you don't have to read lots of them) on how to figure your prices.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-.html

HTH

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 4

Not sure about pricing. I charge $2.00-$2.50 per serving because I'm just trying to get my feet wet and get some experience. Most people charge more.

As far as how much cake, that's not your burden to bear. You can suggest, but let her know how many servings of cake she wants. You don't want to end up being blamed for too much or not enough cake. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

As far as how much cake, that's not your burden to bear. You can suggest, but let her know how many servings of cake she wants. You don't want to end up being blamed for too much or not enough cake. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

totally agree. you can suggest. you can share your experience and expertise. you can quote articles and experts all day long. but bottom line is that SHE needs to order what she expects, just like she will with the tables, the chairs and the food.

I've also found that the bigger the invite number, the more accurate the 60% Rule.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%