Any Ideas On How To Make This Cake?

Decorating By summersusu Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 4:39am by ycknits

summersusu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summersusu Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 5

Trying to figure out how to make this cake? Any ideas what it is made of and how it is supported with the open mouth?

ok can't seem to add attachment so here is the link to the cake

http://picasaweb.google.com/hudson.kristen/CAKES#5362756024855485074

4 replies
Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 5

Which one? It pulls up a whole album...

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:18am
post #3 of 5

The dog cake picture just comes up for me. I would say it's RKT on top with a round cake underneath.

Love2BakeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2BakeCakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:39am
post #4 of 5

RKT sounds about right. On my Elmo cake ... check my photos ... I used two ball pans, dowels, then propped his mouth open with a wedge of cake.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 4:39am
post #5 of 5

I'd use a 3" deep round for the bottom and cut an angled chunk out of it for the mouth.... going only 1/2 to 2/3 of the way from the edge to the center of the cake. Then insert dowels into uncut portion of the cake and top with a cake board that is 1" smaller in diameter than the top cake. Off set the board under the top portion of the cake so that the board goes all the way to the edge of the top portion that will be over the mouth of the dog. This will leave the outside edge of most of the top portion of the cake not supported by a cakeboard so that it can be easily cut away to get the oblong shape of the dogs head. The top portion of the dog's head would be a tier created from two 2" deep rounds, stacked and filled as usual. As long as the cutout wedge in the bottom layer does not go too far back into the cake, this should work and be stable. For the cakeboard, I'd use a 5/8" foam core board. Have fun and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%