Please Give Me Your Honest Opinion......i Won't Get Offended

Decorating By Daniela Updated 6 Sep 2005 , 5:06pm by Daniela

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 12:43am
post #1 of 31

Okay everyone here it is.....

Please give me your honest opinion on my cake. Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I understand that it's only constructive criticism.

Making this cake was definately an experience. It was my first time using MMF and it gave me so many problems. I made the cake last night and ran into my first set of complications when I decided that it wasn't a good idea to add raw eggs into my chocolate buttercream because my pregnant niece would most likely be tasting the cake. So then as you can see the buttercream started melting icon_cry.gif Then today I tried covering the cake in MMF and it kept breaking. I was ready to loose it because it wasn't going so well and to top it all off my MIL kept telling me that there was nothing I could do to save it............I guess I showed her!! I definately learned a lot from this cake and I look forward to making plenty more.

TIA for your honesty!!! Take care

Daniela
LL

30 replies
sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 12:47am
post #2 of 31

I think it looks just fine! I can't even see any melting buttercream?? It looks like a lot of work anyway - even without ANY problems! Good job.
I learn something new from almost every cake I do...the trick is remembering it! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Daniela Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 12:51am
post #3 of 31

You're absolutely right Sunlover00
that's why I'm constantly making notes about everything. Even after I bake a cake I always right down my comments about it just so I remember for the next time I plan on using that recipe!!! icon_wink.gif

You're very sweet
thanks for your comment
Daniela

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 12:54am
post #4 of 31

Considering all the problems...I think you did a great job. It has a fun whimsical look. I have still not tried MMF because I am afraid I will end up with a big sticky mess! By the way, how did the cake taste??? Did everyone like the taste of MMF????
traci

MominSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MominSC Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 12:55am
post #5 of 31

Well I think it turned out great!! You did a very good job, and I would have never guessed you had trouble. Keep up the good work icon_smile.gif

Beth

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:00am
post #6 of 31

I think it's a very lovely cake, and looks like a lot of work went into it, I love the colors. Don't beat yourself up, it's like we all say we are our own worst criticsicon_smile.gif

Barbara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbara76 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:04am
post #7 of 31

I just posted a comment for it...but I'll tell you here too icon_smile.gif

I really like it, I think it looks like a quilt, I couldn't tell you had problems!

Barbara

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:05am
post #8 of 31

I would have never guess you hadn't planned to make this cake just as it turned out! You did a great job covering up your "learning experiences".

By the way, is that picture of the young sexy girl you? Just wondering!

ccbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccbakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:43am
post #9 of 31

I think the cake looks great. What needed saving?? You did very well.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:46am
post #10 of 31

You definitely showed your MIL...a beautiful cake that nobody would ever guess that you'd had a problem at all! That is a really intricate design, did you work it out ahead of time, how the pieces would fit together, I mean?

That is a really a nice cake! Janice

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 2:09am
post #11 of 31

I think your cake is great! How did you come up with the very unique design? I am just curious as I can't come up with such unique ideas! I usually have to look at something to get any ideas........very creative thumbs_up.gif
I can't tell where you had problems.....looks good to me!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 2:13am
post #12 of 31

What is that darker purple stuff on the cake! It looks like it's oozing out! Not that that's bad. The cake looks like a pudgy pillow you find in a dorm room. Very cool!

Amy

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 3:17am
post #13 of 31

I like it! It looks kinda like a pattern from the 60's.

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 3:26am
post #14 of 31

I love the geometric design. It looks like it was a lot of work. I think you did great.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 3:32am
post #15 of 31

Cakemommy, oozing isn't usually a 'good' thing either! Daniela, you are so brave trying such a complicated design for your first time using it! MIL's are so supportive aren't they? It's fine! I know you've been frustrated with it, I've seen your posts over the last day. I haven't tried MMF yet. Just tried to make my first fondant loop bow today.....I made the loops on the broom stick yesterday and lustered it today, I waited 2 hours for that to dry and then started assembling, one by one my loops fell apart and soon after I let the whole pile fall into the trash. I have more loops drying on the broom stick. Try, try again!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 3:33am
post #16 of 31

I think it looks great. thumbs_up.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 3:43am
post #17 of 31

Looks like it turned out fine! I have yet to try it, but will soon.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 3:57am
post #18 of 31

Your cake looks really pretty.. Sure doesn't look like you had problems with it.. I think you did a great job and I am sure everyone loved it.
icon_smile.gif
Liz

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 5:19am
post #19 of 31

It looks lovely!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 5:33am
post #20 of 31

I agree that it looks fine--the pattern reminds of a quilt, too. You should have seen some of my first cakes. My first strawberry cake broke apart as I frosted it. Needless to say, I pounded it into the counter. My stepdad said he heard a scream and then saw pink flying up in the air. So, you had way more patience than I did.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 6:02am
post #21 of 31

I like it. It does remind me of a 60's theme. We all have bad days. But it looked like you overcame the problems you were having. Don't be so hard on yourself. There is always the next cake. And since you like to make notes on each cake, you will no doubt have ideas about what you think went wrong. Keep up the good work!

Tanya

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 1:28pm
post #22 of 31

I think you did a great job!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

~Denise

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 2:05pm
post #23 of 31

I think it looks great, especially considering all the problems you had. For the icing, could you have used powdered egg whites? I think they are pasteruized, but not sure. About the only "negative" comment I would make is that it looks a little busy with the pattern.

But the pattern matches, and is symetrical. So it all works. Good job. Nothing I like better than showing up a MIL!

ElleC

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 2:13pm
post #24 of 31

The cake looks great. There are many ways to hide "mistakes". Its just having the creativity to do it. Something I rarely have. But it looks like you do! Was the pattern planned?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 2:20pm
post #25 of 31

You had problems with this cake? It looks good to me! The melted buttercream was covered by the mmf. If the mmf was torn - it didn't show. Looks good! Not an easy pattern!

Debbie

Daniela Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:32pm
post #26 of 31

Hi Everyone, Thanks for your posts. I really appreciate it.

Traci,
We tasted the cake today and it was really good. I liked the MMF but I found that if only I had made it a bit thinner it would've been better because it is a little too sweet. Other than that I got an okay response from everyone.

Cybourg, the pattern was a complete mistake. I wanted to cover the cake with one piece of MMF but when that wasn't working for me I used cookie cutters instead and created this pattern.

ElleC my MIL loved it but found another area to pick on. She said the MMF was too sweet!! I can never win

Cake mommy,
the stuff oozing out at the sides was some left over cookie glaze I had in the freezer. I didn't want to throw it so I added it to my cake. I'm not sure that was such a great idea but it was an experience!! icon_lol.gif

To everyone else, thanks for taking the time to critique my cakes!!! I'll be posting some more for you very soon. I'm also very pleased to say that my sister in law already wants a cake done for her daughter's b-day. I won't be charging her of course but I'm still more than pleased to do it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Daniela

Daniela Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:35pm
post #27 of 31

By the way PoodleDoodle,
that's not me in the picture it's Mariah Carey!!!!! However I have been told that I look like her ( Then I woke up)!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I don't think we're allowed to be putting pics of ourselves in CC. Are we??

Daniela

Daniela Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 4:58pm
post #28 of 31

For all of you that have used MMF and regualr fondant, can you tell me which of the two you prefer when it comes to rolling it out and covering the cake. Is regular fondant as sticky to work with as MMF?

I was also thinking that maybe my cake was too big for my first project. It was a 12 inch chocolate buttercreme filled cake.

I'm sure there are plenty of you that have covered a much bigger cake than that for weddings. Are there any pointers you can give me??

TIA
Daniela

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 5:01pm
post #29 of 31

Daniela - I use Satin Ice fondant and love it! It comes in many colors and both vanilla and chocolate flavors.

Debbie

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 5:03pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniela

By the way PoodleDoodle,
that's not me in the picture it's Mariah Carey!!!!! However I have been told that I look like her ( Then I woke up)!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I don't think we're allowed to be putting pics of ourselves in CC. Are we??

Daniela

what I understand is you can upload a picture of you as your avatar, its the only place that its permitted....at least that is what I believe Jackie told me a few months ago.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%