What Do I Do W/ A No-Show For Anniv. Cake?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, I'm running into some "firsts" for the start of 2011... Advice please?

My Jan. 2010 bride responded to my Anniversary Cake reminder, and we arranged to meet last Friday night at 6:15. This was so that she could easily get the cake on her way home from work and wouldn't have to make a longer drive to my home on that snowy day.

I was there on time, in the pkg lot we agreed on, and waited in my car with lights on and engine running. I'll tell you, it's a small lot at a country club, not a big mall lot. I was away from all other cars. In other words, you couldn't miss me. At 6:35, she didn't show, so I called her home # and left a msg that I was there and hoped everything was alright. At 6:45 I had to leave (I'd told her this in the msg) for a 7pm appt. Never heard from her, she never showed.

When I got home, I emailed her that it's unfortunate that the meeting didn't take place, I hoped she was alright, and asked her to call me to make other arrangements for her to get her cake this weekend. As of this morning, I still haven't heard from her.

Cake has been ready since Friday. At what point should I just say "Oh well"? I haven't had to hold on to a cake longer than 48 hours for someone, and don't want to run into a problem if she finally gets it and it's sub-par from being in the fridge for longer than that.

Am I right in thinking I shouldn't have to chase someone to get them to pick up their Anniv. cake?

Thanks!

11 replies
ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 12

The Anniversary cake is a freebie, right? Can you wrap it up and put it in the freezer for a little while and see if she calls? Refrigerating a cake will dry it out ( I found out the hard way...lol).

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 12

I hope she's ok.. if so, how totally rude! If she didn't hold up her end of the agreement to meet, too bad so sad for her. I agree to freeze the cake so at least it doesn't go to waste.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

...and don't want to run into a problem if she finally gets it and it's sub-par from being in the fridge for longer than that.

She can't reasonably blame you for it being stale if she does end up contacting you. She may just think that you'll put the cake to another use and she can get new cake whenever she decides to contact you. I would set her straight on that by sending her an email telling her that since it's been several days, the cake is really no good and you'll have to throw it out by the end of the day. Then just tell her you're sorry she wasn't able to take advantage of the anniversary cake and hope she was able to enjoy her anniversary. That way she knows this is the end of the story.

Or you could freeze it as ptayner suggests if you have the room. That way you could just toss it in there and forget it until you need the room.

Swede-cakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 12

I took that advice and wrapped/froze it. If, in a couple more days, I don't hear from her...we're going to eat it! icon_lol.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

I took that advice and wrapped/froze it. If, in a couple more days, I don't hear from her...we're going to eat it! icon_lol.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 12

I say eat it! You did all you could to get the cake to her, and she hasn't called you back. Maybe she had a bad anniversary, fight with the husband or something.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 12

How rude. People just don't appreciate things these days.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry that happened to you. Glad that you are willing/able to freeze it for a little while...and hope you have the chance to find out what happened.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 12

Was she a bridezilla? If not, then it sounds like something may have happened. I'm glad you froze it for her.

I know my curiosity would have the better of me and I'd just want to know that she is ok. And I'd go from there, based on what you learn. If something awful happened to prevent her from being there, I'd keep the cake for her or even if I had to, I'd make a new one later on. If it's a case of rudeness on her part, then I'd still keep the cake in the freezer if I had room, but it's kinda, take your chances on what can and can't be done at this point.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 12

NH is for New Hampshire, right? Aren't you guys getting hit with a lot of snow right now? I would give her the benefit of the doubt, before writing her off. bUt really, there is nothing you can do about the condition of the cake if she wasn't able to get it from you.

Swede-cakes Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 12

Hi all, I'm back from playing in the snow! Yes, we've been hit by a lot of the white stuff lately. I think if the commute home that night was a crappy, snowy one for her, she may have just have been glad to be home and forgotten about our mtg. But it's just weird that I haven't heard from her still, and it's 48 hrs later.

She wasn't a Bridezilla, quite an extrovert but not a pushy kind. icon_smile.gif Hopefully she'll get to work tomorrow, and see the emails we exchanged last week and get in touch.

Thanks for the advice. Freezing is the way to go, and we'll see what happens from here.

(My kids already have dibbs on this cake if she doesn't respond! LOL!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%