For Renting A Commercial Kitchen.....need Your Input

Business By Motta Updated 28 Jan 2011 , 4:33pm by sccandwbfan

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
post #1 of 16

I'm getting access to a commercial kitchen in Feb. They are ok with me having my own stand alone cupboard or pantry for my dry goods and I'll lock it up daily.
My plan is to bring along what I need for each order per week. Cutters, fondant, colors, etc.

That's a lot of stuff to haul each way. I know it can be done but just wondering how those of you who rent kitchens do it - maybe there's a special secret that's made things easier for you? any tips for being more organized? I'm just looking for advice to make it easier on my back and on the amount of time I have to spend in just packing and unpacking.
Thanks!!

15 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:38am
post #2 of 16

I am exactly at the same place you are in this endeavor, and thinking the same thing. My only conclusion was to be extremely organized so that everything I need for the cake will be with me. Uh yeah so I'll be watching this thread icon_smile.gif Good luck and congrats.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:39am
post #3 of 16

We rent three standalone cupboards for dry goods storage at our rented commercial kitchen, and we also have space in the shared refrigerator. The only items that are taken into the kitchen are replacements for ingredients we're running low on, and the only items that come out are cakes that are being delivered.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 16

How about one of those craft containers that is on wheels for tips, bags, etc.. You could use the cubbies in that to hold just about everything you'd need to decorate. (It looks like luggage) Here is a link to one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JPKVS0/?tag=cakecentral-20

Motta Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 16

Hi, I didn't get a reply notice so I just noticed some responses.

This kitchen is like a galley style so pretty tight. I think I'll do what you do, Jason, and try to put as much as I can into the standalone cupboard.

But I LOVE that rolling craft container link! If I could most of my small goods in there, I'd be set up to decorate anywhere! Not a bad price either. I already have to haul my 2 mixers back and forth so this would save me. Right now it looks like it would take about 1/2 hour just to set up to start baking...yikes.

Thanks everyone. If anyone else has any advice, please please tell me. Being organized is not my strong suit but I do it when I have to.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:24am
post #6 of 16

Sounds like space is tight. At my rented kitchen I use a plastic "garbage can" with wheels for my bags of flour and sugar. I use the cupboard space for pans, cutters, and other baking utensils.

Motta Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:34am
post #7 of 16

gingerbreadtogo- do you take the garbage cans of flour/sugar home with you? I like the idea but not sure how to transport it.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 12:46am
post #8 of 16

Law in Calif is you cannot store anything at home. So I keep can at kitchen, at least it can roll out of the way- but it does take up space.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #9 of 16

We use Cambro 18qt plastic containers to store flour on-site, a 50lb bag of flour just about fits into two of the 18qt containers. Smaller Cambro containers work well for holding dry ingredients we buy in quantities smaller than 50lbs, they are also good for holding frosting.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BZGS40/?tag=cakecentral-20

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:15am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadtogo

Law in Calif is you cannot store anything at home. So I keep can at kitchen, at least it can roll out of the way- but it does take up space.

That's what I was going to say. We cannot even carry our favorite pan or even our favorite spoon back and forth. So, the rented kitchen almost has to have more storage space for the many renters than it does kitchen space. It can be a pain, but I own two of everything.

If you are allowed to carry back and forth, I imagine it would not be any different than when I cater. I have tubs that I carry to gigs which have everything in it need to take to a catering job, can opener, measuring cups, insta-reads, all those little things that are so easy to forget. So, in those cases, I own three of everything.

Motta Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 4:36am
post #11 of 16

Here, I am allowed to carry things back and forth so I'm glad for that.

I'm wondering how you know if someone isn't using your flour or putting a contaminant in your bin? You must lock it up when you leave?

Thanks for the info on the bins.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 5:16am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

I'm wondering how you know if someone isn't using your flour or putting a contaminant in your bin? You must lock it up when you leave?

Our rented storage consists of cabinets with handles, we just thread a chain through the handles and stick a combination lock on it.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 6:21am
post #13 of 16

I'm having the same dilemma with storage space. I took a tour of the commercial kitchen I will most likely end up using, and they have metal shelving that they rent out, but there's no way to lock anything up. I guess it's just a trust thing there.

I can't believe there aren't more options for renting commercial kitchens in LA. There are 2 that I've found, and both are a 20 - 30 minute drive for me, assuming no traffic. And I live in the city, not outside of it somewhere! One has a lower security deposit and no minimum hours, but they are only open from 7am to 6pm. The other has a higher deposit, and has a waiting list to even be able to use the kitchen. It's making me want to start my own commercial kitchen rental place!

Anyway, just wanted to add my little rant of frustration.

gingerbreadtogo Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 16

Some people at my kitchen lock up, but we don't really have issues with people stealing..we are all in the same boat...How great you can haul things back and forth..kind of a pain, but more convenient..

Motta Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 8:09pm
post #15 of 16

Yes, I guess it IS nice to take back and forth...saving me cost on containers anyways! icon_smile.gif

I guess I was more concerned about contamination than anything esp. if I do nut-free products. Locking up is the only way I would do this.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 28 Jan 2011 , 4:33pm
post #16 of 16

I wish I could find something like that in TN. I found out that Cumberland University has a commercial kitchen that they rent out but it's huge. I haven't called to see if they rent small parts out or not.

Christy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%