Too Much Vanilla In Buttercream...how Do I Save?

Baking By au_decorator_76 Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 12:34am by au_decorator_76

au_decorator_76 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:47am
post #1 of 14

I used a new brand of vanilla in my buttercream. I put the same amount without even thinking about it being a different brand than my normal. Now it's ENTIRELY too much and is pretty gross if I say so myself.

Can anyone suggest how to save it without having to make more?

13 replies
dmo4ab Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:48am
post #2 of 14

Maybe try adding some other flavor...butter, lemon, etc. Or add chocolate or white chocolate.

Not sure how either would work...just the first things I thought of.

cakesrock Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:03am
post #3 of 14

Or just add another 1/2 batch of all the other ingredients. You'll have more, but at least it won't taste bad! Good luck...

indydebi Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 5:22am
post #4 of 14

I like cakesrock's suggestion, but just wanted to say that wow this must be some strong vanilla 'coz in my kitchen there's no such thing as too much vanilla! icon_biggrin.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 5:24am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I like cakesrock's suggestion, but just wanted to say that wow this must be some strong vanilla 'coz in my kitchen there's no such thing as too much vanilla! icon_biggrin.gif

That's what i was thinking! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 5:46am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Quote:

That's what i was thinking! icon_biggrin.gif

if a recipe calls for one teaspoon, I throw at LEAST a couple of tablespoons in there! thumbs_up.gif Oh heck, who am I kidding! I just take the lid off of the bottle and pour!! icon_lol.gif

Torts Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 6:22am
post #7 of 14
Quote:

My thoughts exactly... I remember as a kid when making cookies, my dad would throw in two extra teaspoons and said, "There is no such thing as too much- we love vanilla!"

icer101 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:00am
post #8 of 14

yes, i too agree with cakesrock. That is exactly what i would do. Freeze the rest. Last a long time.

madgeowens Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 7:52am
post #9 of 14

make another batch,omit the vanilla then mix the two batches together icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

yes, i too agree with cakesrock. That is exactly what i would do. Freeze the rest. Last a long time.

Question about this: I always wondered am I better off just keeping this icing in the pantry or freezing it? And how long does it last in the pantry. I made some Choc Indydebi's and not sure when I'll use it next?
TIA!

au_decorator_76 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 14

I've wondered about freezing it too because it sounds like I'm going to have a huge amount left over. haha. making another batch and mixing the two sounds like the best way to save this batch. I hate wasting icing.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem with too much vanilla either but you open the container and get knocked flat by the alcohol smell from the vanilla. If I use this brand again I'll use 1/2 of what I did.

CakeMom5001 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 14

what brand vanilla did you use?

au_decorator_76 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 14

Sauer's. It's a pure vanilla extract. I usually use Wilton's imitation clear vanilla but didn't need it to be pure white so I didn't want to use what was left of my clear. We have noticed that the other Sauer's spices we've bought were stronger and we've had to cut back on what it calls for in recipes. I don't know why I didn't think about that fact.

au_decorator_76 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 12:34am
post #14 of 14

I made a second batch of buttercream and used part butter and part crisco hoping to cut out some of that vanilla in my first batch. I used an almond flavoring. I took out a small bit 1:1 of both and it was still a little too strong so I tried 2:1 (newicon_surprised.gifld) and that was perfect. A little too much vanilla is one thing.... when it knocks you down to smell it that's another. Now I have a huge batch of icing though and some of the old left over. I'll be freezing some I imagine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%