Bar Of Choc Cake - What's The Best Way Of Doing This?

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 12:13am by Dayti

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to do a bar of chocolate cake (pic attached) - what's the best way of doing the chunks do you think? I was going to cover whole cake in choc fondant then layer thinner layers of fondant over to get the coloured wrapper etc but not sure whether to carve the chunks into the sponge before covering in fondant or just to "indent" the fondant after to create the chunk effect? Also the chunks that are broken off at the end would you do in cake or chunks of chocolate fondant do you think?

any help appreciated thank you
icon_smile.gif

sorry pic won't attach there is a link
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ngbXlmDaiYg/So0LjuAoJkI/AAAAAAAAAcs/eRxjK2yTi1A/s1600-h/3839480428_913e747d26.jpg

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 5

I think you will have to do some carving to make the chunks look nice - note that only about 4 or 5 chunks are visible so you don't have to carve all of the bar. I think if you tried to just indent the fondant it will not go deep enough (unless you use an extra thick layer) to get a good look. As for the separate chunks, it would depend on the size of the overall cake. If they are going to be small, cake squares will be tricky to do (or they would for me anyway, I have not been having luck with mini-cakes recently!). You could do the centres of them like cake balls? Might be more sturdy to cover. But if they are only very small, definitely just make out of choc fondant.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 5

I would carve the indents prior to covering because they are so deep; that way you can measure to get uniform chunks and depths...the pieces I would use cake, and cover, also because of their size.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #4 of 5

Thank you everyone I think I will go with your advice of carving one end of the cake a little to give more definition and cover. Another question would you just cover the chunk end with the chocolate and the rest of it with normal fondant - i was just thinking it may be too much fondant otherwise if I layer one lot over another?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:13am
post #5 of 5

Yeah I would do it that way, even though you are going to have to get your sugarpaste fairly thin to make it look like the wrapper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%