Need Advice In Using Amaretto Liquer Cake For Decorating....

Baking By retaunton Updated 23 Jan 2011 , 1:21am by Elcee

retaunton Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 2

I have the following recipe that I wanted to use for my Aunt's B-day. She loves Amaretto cake. I use to make this all the time in the past before I became interested in decorating. Previously I always made it in a bundt pan. My dilemma is that I wanted to do a decorated cake for my Aunt. She is a retired cake decorator and has been very supportive of me in my new "hobby." I had envisioned this cake with a filling of chocolate ganache with pecans. Iced in chocolate ganache and covered in fondant. I am attempting to make a "water/snow globe" cake, as she collects snow globes. I am making gumpaste flowers and butterflies to go under the globe.

Should I make the glaze thicker and use it as a filling and just ice in chocolate ganache. My concern is that if I pour the glaze on the cake layers they will be too wet, gooey when I try to stack and fill.

Amaretto Cake:

1 box yellow cake mix
1 large box instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup Amaretto
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix all ingredients well. Grease bundt or tube pan, then sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans in the bottom. Pour batter into pan and bake according to the instructions on the cake box.

Glaze:

1/2 cup Amaretto
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter

Boil water, sugar and butter for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Then add Amaretto and pour over cake while hot.

My thoughts were to add pecans to the batter, make cake as instructed and bake in round cake pans. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pans and then use wood skewers to make holes into cakes and pour glaze as is onto cakes. Cool completely and put into freezer overnight. Next morning to fill and ice with ganache.

I am still in the planning stages. Any and all comments, suggestions will be welcomed.

Thank you,

Regina

1 reply
Elcee Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 1:21am
post #2 of 2

I have a similar recipe that I pair with chocolate so if it were me I'd skip the glaze completely and flavor the ganache with almond extract or Amaretto. I'd also use ground almonds instead of pecans in the filling.

Whatever you do, it sounds really good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%