How Do I Gauge How Much Icing To Color?

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 26 Jan 2011 , 11:56am by suzied

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 8

I have the bad habit of coloring too much of my white icing to border cakes and make decorations. I've found keys, on the Wilton site, to know how much icing is needed to cover a cake. Nothing to tell me how much is needed to border a cake? Do any of you have a good formula to keep me from having all of these saran wrap plugs of way too much colored icing? icon_biggrin.gif

TIA

Christy

7 replies
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have any ideas sorry, but what about freezing the left-overs, so you dont' have to worry about waste at least.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 8

I would also say no clue on the quantities, sorry! and would also say freeze your leftovers, or they keep for a good while in the fridge. If you freeze the plugs flat (not in a cone shape) they will defrost super quick too.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 8

You could also weigh your icing plug before starting, and again when you've finished the border, for example, to see how much you used on a particular cake and make a note for next time?

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

You could also weigh your icing plug before starting, and again when you've finished the border, for example, to see how much you used on a particular cake and make a note for next time?

What a great idea. icon_smile.gif I'll think I'll try that the next time, as in this week. icon_smile.gif

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Christy

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 8

great question, I have wondered if I was the only one that had a hard time w/ this. Since I only bake for special occassions I dont freeze the frosting so i end up tossing the left over s(after I eat a few spoonful and make myself sick)

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 8

I always freeze my colors and it has come in handy lately. Recently had enough white to do a 9x13 sheet, green for grass - only had to make blue. Doing a 6 inch cake tomorrow and using all different colors - its for family so it will be all good~~~

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 26 Jan 2011 , 11:56am
post #8 of 8

I hope i have understood you correctly. are you talking of doing like a shell border around the cake? if its a square cake eg. 12 x 12 i will do one side of a border on a piece of grease proof paper 12" with white icing, weigh it and multiply it by the number of sides, for instance 100gms x 4 sides = 400gms icing for the bottom and then colour it. like this i dont waste. if i need to do a border on the top as well i will multiply the weight of one side by 8. ( i only hope i understood you correctly) otherwise i would like to know what you meant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%