Decided..i Just Do Not Like Scratch Baking...lol

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 22 Jan 2011 , 10:21pm by Kitagrl

Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 3

So....I got this cake order from a Mom at my kids school.I sit with her regularily when we are waiting for our kids...She has been bugging me for about a month that she wanted to order a birthday cake for her daughter for her 14th birthday.I tell her email me so we can discuss and finalized design..Week after week goes by and no email..So about 2 weeks ago I tell her if you want me to do a cake I need to know soon otherwise no cake...at the beginning she wanted a 2 tiered cake and I agreed to bake scratch because her daughter has allergies to sulfites etc and I figured since it would be a bigger cake and good money I could stand to bake scratch for her at not much extra cost...So she runs me down Wednesday while walking my kids home from school and having a killer migraine icon_cry.gif and she begins to ramble off what her daughter wants..I kinda snapped at her to "email me" because I just couldn't think (My head was pounding) and I just wanted to get home...She says okay I'll email you tonight... well next morning and No email....this is now thursday and she wants this cake for a week later..(Next weekend) so I managed to get ahold of her cell number from a friend who also knows her and leave a voice message stating no email..no cake!..No call..I finally get an email later yesterday saying all kinds of stuff like it has been hectic and teenager daughter has had a few meltdowns this week icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif ..Don't get that one ..anyways... icon_rolleyes.gif ..yadda yadda yadda..(like we aren't all busy... icon_rolleyes.gif )she decides on the cheapest cake I have on my site which is half the cake size she originally told me and still wants it scratch..I mean had I known she only intended on spending $50.00 I would have said NO to the scratch cake as I was only doing it as a favor anyway...

Point to the story...I really dislike scratch baking...I had to double the recipe to fill a 9x13 pan when it said one batch would fill it..I used about $25.00 in ingredients to make a measly $50.00 bucks... icon_mad.gif I had to bake it neary 1 hour and 10 minutes and the corners are overbaked and hard.Recipe said 30-25 minutes...yeah right..what 9x13 cake bakes in 30 minutes.

Next year it will be NO CAKE FOR YOU!!! thumbs_up.gif

Okay..I am fine now...LOL

2 replies
heyjules Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 3

That's weird, my scratch cakes need less batter than a mix, because they rise so much more.

Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 3

My scratch cakes rise less than boxed, too.... I think because the ones I do from scratch are dense and moist and heavier than box mix. The only scratch mix that would fluff up more than box would be the kind with lots of egg whites or something.....

Yep it does take lots more batter for scratch. Bleh. It is more work, I have started to charge more for "gourmet" flavors than regular ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%