Coffee Flavored Ganache

Lounge By TracyFace Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm by TracyFace

TracyFace  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyFace Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make a coffee flavored ganache for a groom's cake, and I have no idea how to do it!! Would I just dissolve some espresso powder in w/ the cream? Or replace some of the cream w/ strong coffee? I was thinking replacing it would mess w/ the consistency of the ganache, but I don't know! I've been searching the site for a little while & haven't been able to find anything, so I thought I'd just ask!! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
 scp1127  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 9

I have not made coffee flavored, but I use espresso powder when I don't want to change consistency or add liquid.

Adevag  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:03am
post #3 of 9

Do you have time to make some tries at home and then compare to see which one works best? I think you could dissolve espresso powder into the cream rather than taking parts of the cream out and replacing it with coffee.

I have made a ganache with Kahlua added (just a few tablespoons) and I really liked it. But I don't know if it's strong enough coffee flavor for what you need. Otherwise, I recommend it.

Good luck and if you do figure out a great recipe, please post back and let us know!

jonahsmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 9

I don't make ganache very often, but wouldn't the water in the coffee ruin the chocolate?

scp1127 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:35am
post #5 of 9

You don't add water. The espresso will dissolve in the cream. Chocolate won't seize with large amounts of liquid, such as the cream.

funcakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:43am
post #6 of 9

I have made this by dissolving coffee/espresso crystals in the heavy cream while heating and then pouring it over the grated chocolate. I have also used Kahlua in it as well, but that is my theory of baking-to make things better throw some booze into it! This produced a mocha flavored ganache. I also wanted to make a coffee flavored filling, not mocha and couldn't figure our how to do it-so I used coffee flavored buttercream. I would still love to make coffee flavored ganache-let us know if you figure this out. Maybe use white chocolate?

scp1127 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:35am
post #7 of 9

Wow, funcakes... white chocolate would make cafe latte... what a great idea!

leily  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:04am
post #8 of 9

I have done this also. I used instant coffee granuales and disolved them with the cream while heating it up. Then added it to the chocolate.

TracyFace  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyFace Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 9

Thank y'all for all the replies!! I'm gonna do some trial batches and try to figure out the perfect combo and I'll let y'all know what I come up with! Any suggestions on what kind of chocolate to use? Semi-sweet, bittersweet, milk chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%