Coffee Flavored Ganache

Lounge By TracyFace Updated 24 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm by TracyFace

TracyFace Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make a coffee flavored ganache for a groom's cake, and I have no idea how to do it!! Would I just dissolve some espresso powder in w/ the cream? Or replace some of the cream w/ strong coffee? I was thinking replacing it would mess w/ the consistency of the ganache, but I don't know! I've been searching the site for a little while & haven't been able to find anything, so I thought I'd just ask!! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
scp1127 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 9

I have not made coffee flavored, but I use espresso powder when I don't want to change consistency or add liquid.

Adevag Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:03am
post #3 of 9

Do you have time to make some tries at home and then compare to see which one works best? I think you could dissolve espresso powder into the cream rather than taking parts of the cream out and replacing it with coffee.

I have made a ganache with Kahlua added (just a few tablespoons) and I really liked it. But I don't know if it's strong enough coffee flavor for what you need. Otherwise, I recommend it.

Good luck and if you do figure out a great recipe, please post back and let us know!

jonahsmom Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 9

I don't make ganache very often, but wouldn't the water in the coffee ruin the chocolate?

scp1127 Posted 23 Jan 2011 , 12:35am
post #5 of 9

You don't add water. The espresso will dissolve in the cream. Chocolate won't seize with large amounts of liquid, such as the cream.

funcakes Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 1:43am
post #6 of 9

I have made this by dissolving coffee/espresso crystals in the heavy cream while heating and then pouring it over the grated chocolate. I have also used Kahlua in it as well, but that is my theory of baking-to make things better throw some booze into it! This produced a mocha flavored ganache. I also wanted to make a coffee flavored filling, not mocha and couldn't figure our how to do it-so I used coffee flavored buttercream. I would still love to make coffee flavored ganache-let us know if you figure this out. Maybe use white chocolate?

scp1127 Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 8:35am
post #7 of 9

Wow, funcakes... white chocolate would make cafe latte... what a great idea!

leily Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 9:04am
post #8 of 9

I have done this also. I used instant coffee granuales and disolved them with the cream while heating it up. Then added it to the chocolate.

TracyFace Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 9

Thank y'all for all the replies!! I'm gonna do some trial batches and try to figure out the perfect combo and I'll let y'all know what I come up with! Any suggestions on what kind of chocolate to use? Semi-sweet, bittersweet, milk chocolate?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%