Help! Wedding Cake With No Filling

Decorating By bucimom1 Updated 25 Jan 2011 , 3:13pm by solascakes

bucimom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bucimom1 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 15

I need some advice. I was asked to make a 3 tier wedding cake in two weeks. She asked for the bottom tier to have raspberry filling, and the top two tiers to have no filling. I have been frantically looking for a 4" deep sqaure cake pan for the top two tiers but having no luck. icon_cry.gif
A man from a cake supply store here suggested using two 2" deep pans and just stick the layers together. I am a little scared about doing it that way. icon_eek.gif
Does any one have any suggestions?

14 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 15

She wants people to eat a 4" piece cake with no filling? Not many people will like eating just cake without anything. You haven't said you're covering the cake in fondant or if you're icing in buttercream. Either way, if you're using buttercream under the fondant, offer to put a buttercream filling and let her now her guests will appreciate it. DId she give you a reason for no filling?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 15

There aren't any 4 inch cake pans. Just 2 inch and 3 inch pans. I'd do the cakes with no filling in a 3 inch pan. It's an odd request to be sure! icon_confused.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 15

I believe Fat Daddios makes 4 inch pans. You could also make a parchment collar on a 3 inch pan. Actually if you want the cake to be 4 inches, even with a 4 inch pan I would put a collar. To keep it simple I made a 4 inch cake with no filling. It works esp. well with pound cake.

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 15

Maybe she meant no filling (like raspberry, lemon etc..) but still would like a layer of buttercream. I would check ... just to be sure. I know when friends ask to me make a cake for them and I ask if they want a filling .. they normally say no...but when I ask if they want buttercream ... it is always a yes. PLUS - it will be easier if she does want a buttercream filling - no worries on a 4" high pan.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMom5001

Maybe she meant no filling (like raspberry, lemon etc..) but still would like a layer of buttercream. I would check ... just to be sure. I know when friends ask to me make a cake for them and I ask if they want a filling .. they normally say no...but when I ask if they want buttercream ... it is always a yes. PLUS - it will be easier if she does want a buttercream filling - no worries on a 4" high pan.

Yes, I agree, I am almost certain she means she does not want a SPECIAL filling. I would use two 2" layers with buttercream in the middle. This is standard operating procedure for "no filling".

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 15

She just means buttercream...no flavored fillings...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 15

i agree.. when i get people that say no filling they mean something besides buttercream. BUt i dont' do cakes w/o filling, i bake all my cakes in 2" pans and then put buttercream in between if they don't want a special filling.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 15

You might want to clarify with her,and explain why.she might not mind a little buttercream to stick the 2 cakes together or she might mean absolutely no filling. Most of my cakes are not filled,I have only done 1 wedding cake that required filling so i'm used to it. In my experience when people say no filling,they really mean it,I have been acused of ruining someones party cos I added a little filling to stick cakes together.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 15

I agree with the others. no filling means just buttercream, no special or flavored fillings. You should clarify, but I don't think she wanted a 4" solid cake.

bucimom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bucimom1 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you everyone for your input. The entire cake will be covered in butter cream. I sure you are right that she wants just butter cream and not a flavored filling, but I reach out to her and get clarification. Thanks everyone.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:30pm
post #12 of 15

In this part of the world people don't expect fillings at all, I was really surprised when I learned that it was expected in american cakes. If you went to a wedding here, you would expect no filling in your cake, and it would be baked in a 3" tin. I made a 4" cake recently and everyone told me it was too tall. *shrug* I guess it's what you get used to. Next time I do a filled cake, I will be making 1.5" layers, as I agree that 4" is too tall. Maybe beause people often eat cake with their hands, and getting your gob around 4" is tricky!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 15

I've had 2 requests for non-filled tiers, and both really did want no filling. My cakes are very moist, so the layers held together just fine, but I thought it was a really unusual request too.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 22 Jan 2011 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 15

were they from the southern hemisphere? icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

I've had 2 requests for non-filled tiers, and both really did want no filling. My cakes are very moist, so the layers held together just fine, but I thought it was a really unusual request too.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Jan 2011 , 3:13pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zespri

In this part of the world people don't expect fillings at all, I was really surprised when I learned that it was expected in american cakes. If you went to a wedding here, you would expect no filling in your cake, and it would be baked in a 3" tin. I made a 4" cake recently and everyone told me it was too tall. *shrug* I guess it's what you get used to. Next time I do a filled cake, I will be making 1.5" layers, as I agree that 4" is too tall. Maybe beause people often eat cake with their hands, and getting your gob around 4" is tricky!

Exactly,the first time I was asked to fill a cake,I was shocked,almost couldn't do it,had to research lol. 4" cakes... easy... with no filling over here too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%